Chapter Four

~Enya's POV~

Once the handprint on my cheek, my father had left me, was gone, I was able to return to school. My classmates and teachers were used to me disappearing for a week at a time and believed me to be very sickly. While I had several school friends, I wasn't allowed to invite them over, not that any of them would be willing to come over, they were all scared of my father and even big brother. My desk had been covered with origami flowers and handmade cards from all my classmates wishing me a speedy recovery.

After the final bell rang, I excitedly gathered my things and all the cute cards from my classmates, said farewell to everyone and went to wait on the front steps for Enji. He promised he'd take me to practice archery today, it was our secret activity we hid from mother and father. There was an archery range on the way home that was a little off the beaten path. Enji started taking me after I saw a movie with a cool heroine who was an amazing archer and I wouldn't stop pestering him about it until he gave in and decided to take me.

A few of my classmates waited with me on the steps while waiting for their drivers to come get them. While it was a school for the wealthy, my father's fortune was bigger than anyone else's. At the beginning of the year it had made me somewhat of a pariah but once everyone realized I wasn't what they were expecting my classmates warmed up to me. Before long, all of my classmates were gone and I was the only one left waiting on the steps.

It would be getting dark soon. Maybe that meant Enji got busy with hero stuff. Trying not to feel discouraged or upset I called home knowing Enji would be furious if I left on my own. One of the butler's answered on the first ring.

"Todoroki Estate." It was one of the older butler's who'd been with our family the longest.

I couldn't help but smile, "Hey, Klaus, I think Enji got caught up with hero work and couldn't come get me, could you send a car please?"

"Mistress Enya." There was a smile in his voice, "I was starting to worry, you missed dinner."

I blanched, "are mother and father upset?"

"The master of the house is golfing and has taken no notice; the lady has been in her parlor all evening." He supplied politely; she was drinking.

"Oh. That's good." I breathed a sigh of relief.

"I'll send a car for you right away, and have some supper sent to your room." He said the last part quietly causing me to giggle.

"Thank you, Klaus." I beamed, one of father's many rules, if you weren't at the dinner table when dinner was served you didn't get any dinner.

"Are you able to take shelter while you wait it looks like it may storm soon?" Klaus asked concerned.

I scooted under the awning of the school, "yep."

"Very well, see you soon Mistress Enya." He hung up the phone and I wrapped my arms around myself as the temperature outside began to drop.

Klaus was right, the clouds were turning dark quick. The sky looked ominous. I hoped Enji was doing hero work somewhere safe from the storm that was about to hit. The sky opened up above and rain began pelting the ground and bouncing off the roof of the awning. In a matter of seconds, it was pouring so hard it was hard to see anything outside of the awning.

I hoped the driver coming to pick me up wouldn't put their life at risk and would pull off to the side of the road and wait out the rain. Thunder boomed overhead and a streak of lightning flashed across the sky. There was a deafening crack as it struck the building across the street. Arcing sparks showered off the building and a panicked scream escaped me. That was close!