Chapter Two

~Enya's POV~

I woke in the early morning hours to someone tucking Corrin, my unicorn plush, under my arm and pulling the blankets up around me just as I'd started to feel a chill. My eyes fluttered open and I looked up in a tired daze to find my older brother, Enji, leaning over me. His teal eyes lingered on my bruised cheek and he winced sympathetically.

"I didn't mean to wake you, go back to sleep." He tucked me in carefully and ruffled my hair affectionately.

"Can you stay home with me? I don't want to spend the day shopping with Mom." I begged him.

He offered me a small apologetic smile, "sorry, I can't."

I tried not to show how let down I was. "o-okay."

He saw through me, as always. "I shouldn't be out all night, if you're feeling up to it when I get home, we can practice some archery."

I smiled so wide my bruised face protested and I almost winced from the pain, "really?" I tried to make my voice sound as excited as I felt and not reveal that I was in pain.

Enji's smile fell. "Only if you get plenty of rest today."

"I will." I promised.

"Alright." He pointed to my nightstand, "I brought you another ice pack, make sure you use it."

"Thanks, Nii-sama."

He left without a word. He seemed stressed out with school and his hero work. I wanted to help him but wasn't sure how. He'd always taken care of me and looked out for me, I wanted to return the favor.

I picked up the ice pack and set it on my pillow as he had done for me the night before. I laid my aching cheek on it and closed my eyes hoping to drift back to sleep.

When next I woke, it was to my mother throwing open all the curtains in my room filling the room with blinding light. "Rise and shine! Come on time to get up, you can't lie in bed all day, young lady." She pulled my blankets away from me and wrenched me out of bed.

I woke with a start and hardly had time to right myself as she thrust me in the direction of my attached bathroom.

"Hurry up and shower. I'll help you with your makeup when you're done. The designers will be here soon to get you set up with a nice new spring collection." Mother clapped her hands loudly in an effort to get me to wake up faster.

"I don't really want to shop today." I spoke up quietly.

Her teal eyes narrowed, "your father wanted to treat you, it's rude to refuse his gift."

That's what she always called it, a gift from father. I bowed my head and retreated to my bathroom to take a quick shower. She barely gave me five minutes before she was yelling through the door to hurry up. I finished my shower in record time and wrapped myself in a fluffy white towel. My gaze flicked over to the mirror above the large vanity and sink. The entire left side of my face was black and blue, though thanks to Enji getting me ice, it wasn't swollen.

I exited the bathroom to find two maids waiting with the clothes my mother had picked out for me to wear for the day. A very expensive looking blue dress that matched the color of my eyes and a pair of low, age appropriate, heels. The maids knew better than to pay attention to my bruise and helped me into my clothes before presenting me to my mother.