Chapter Ten

[Five Years Later]

Enya: Age 15

Enji: Age 22

~Enya's POV~

Life had changed drastically, Enji and Rei got married and moved into their own place, it wasn't far from home but I rarely saw either of them. He was already climbing the hero ranks and building in popularity, in a few short years he'd made it into the top ten ranking. My parents forced me to attend an all-girls high school that was designed to turn elegant young ladies into perfect wives. I'd tried to protest and ended up with a fractured rib and a black and blue face...that put an end to the protest. The school was archaic and awful, but not everything was bad. There were other girls at the school who felt the same as me. With the help of an upperclassmen and one very kind teacher, we started a school club.

To the rest of the faculty, students, and parents it seemed like an embroidery club, but really, we all learned self defense tactics to protect ourselves. We didn't want to be helpless housewives like our mothers, we wanted change and freedom.

I hadn't seen All Might, since the day at the amusement park. He'd left soon after, returning to America. He'd been there for years and had already caused quite a stir in the crime rate over there. In the global hero ranking he'd made it to the top three, which really irked Enji. I thought of All Might and his bright warm smile and felt a sense of peace and calm wash over me. I still kept the cape he'd given me and though I'd never admit it to anyone, I slept with the bear likeness of him I'd won every night. I was convinced it kept my nightmares away as I stopped having them whenever I slept with the bear.

"If you keep daydreaming, I'll knock your head off, Princess." The voice of the upperclassmen I'd come to admire, Mei, sounded in front of me. I felt a shift in the air around me as she swung at me with her clenched fists and managed to snap out of my thoughts in time to deflect her attack.

I reflexively swiped her fist to the side causing her to lose her footing before kneeing her in the gut. She doubled over with a cough, her long dark hair falling in her face. "Sorry Senpai." I winced as I offered her a hand up.

"Damn, remind me never to sneak attack you when you space out." Mei coughed as she accepted my hand. Her bright hazel eyes danced with amusement, "just what exactly were you spacing out about?" She pondered.

"Nothing." I blushed.

"Mhm, so what was with the goofy smile on your face?" She poked at me.

"There was no goofy smile." I turned away from her.

"And why are you blushing?" She laughed.

"No reason." I hid my face behind my long sheets of crimson hair.

Mei giggled and draped an arm across my shoulders before turning serious, "you okay? You've been extra spacey lately."

I nodded.

Mei frowned, "what's wrong, my cute little kohai?"

"...my parents are taking me to meet someone tonight..." I said quietly so none of the other club members could hear while they practiced their self-defense drills.

Mei paused, "like a family friend...or a potential ball and chain?"

"I don't think my parents are capable of having friends..." I murmured. Though they hadn't specified, I was so fearful they were trying to set me up with someone, to arrange a marriage for me, like they had with Enji.