Chapter Ten: Celibacy Vow.

dedicated to ericatheariesgirl for the covers above! thank you <3

Chapter Ten: "Celibacy Vow."

THE CHAIR I WAS sitting in wasn't comfortable. My elbows were digging into the arms of it on Friday morning as I watched my physics professor, Professor McCormick, flick through my answers in my green notebook. The set of practice questions was on the display of one of the two monitors in her office. She was probably in her early or mid 40s but she didn't look it at all. Her brown hair was always high in a bun and she typically wore jumpsuits or dressed fashionably enough for Mariam to always point her out whenever we see her from a distance on campus.

Her face relaxed when she looked at me amused. "You didn't have to it this way, you know that?"

"I know," I admitted, moving my thumbnail from my mouth. "I needed to test things out."

The physics midterm was coming up this Saturday and one of the reasons why it was my favourite course of the semester was because she taught it. I genuinely liked coming to her office hours. She was kind, a complete contrast to my old physics professors last year with their stoic attitudes.

"The way you did it was fine. Oh, you found a typo in the textbook," She said, handing me back my papers. "I'll have to call them."

"Do you think that would have been the only mistake?"

"Humans aren't perfect Ms..."

"Jaiyesimi Okusanya. But you can call me Jaime."

"Ms. Okusanya," She said it right without any hesitation. "Humans aren't perfect. If you find another typo, let me know. Any more questions?"

"What's question 1 on the midterm?"

She shot me a look, amusement in her eyes, "Not telling you."

"I had to try." We exchanged our goodbyes as I headed off for a short afternoon shift. 

While I loved Fridays, I figured it would be as it always was: a regular Friday. Yet Yasmeen was busy with her extracurriculars, Mariam was meeting a few people for a group project and I had my midterm which resulted in me spending that Friday night residing in my usual spot at Lambton. But whatever the hell Iman said he was going to do the other night he did. My phone buzzed with a message from Instagram as I twiddled with the stylus pen of my laptop.

aven montaque: are you on campus?

Me: yeah.

aven montaque: where you at?

Me: library.

aven montaque: which one and where in?

Me: why? you coming?

aven montaque: I repeat my further questions.

I grinned.

Me: Lambton. Fifth Floor. Near the end of the room behind the bookshelves. Right corner.

Fifteen minutes later, Aven appeared, looking ridiculously hot as usual. Tonight, he was wearing his dark Nike black sweater and was currently pulling the hood off his head, exposing his slightly red ears from the cold.

Aven's interest was on the big window next to the table, hands on the windowsill as he looked upon the campus lit up by the streetlamps down below. "Iman said you'd be here," Of course he did. "Do you mind having company?"

"No, you're good. Sit."

He took a seat next to me, putting his backpack on the table and his duffel bag by his side. "How long have you been here?"