XIII.

"Lubirea mea, talk to me."

I kept folding the clothes that were on my bed, not paying attention to the mountain of the man standing in front of the closed bedroom door. I hadn't shared a room with him in a few days, something I was sure he was moping about. Demetrius came by to tell me to go talk to him since Zander was snapping at everyone unintentionally.

Oops.

"Lubirea mea, come on." I could hear the pleading in his voice, but I stayed firm in my position. "I need to vacuum the floor soon," I whispered to myself, checking the carpet. I could hear a sigh of annoyance, which made me laugh inside because the ever-so-diligent and proper Zander D'Angelo did not sigh. He was simply too perfect for that.

"Eli."

I stiffened when I heard my actual name come out of his mouth. It sounded so dejected, so sad, and it made me turn around to face him. "...what?" I replied calmly. He looked so tired and pale, which made me want to hug him.

"I miss you." Zander lamented, taking a step closer to me. He was so close that I could almost feel the warmth from him, but the cold air was more than enough to wash that away.

"I miss you too," I offered a small smile, which seemed to comfort him, but there was no way I could erase the last conversation we had. It was something that needed to be done for us to move forward. "But until we talk about the sensitive things, we can't move forward," I muttered, and his eyes darkened. See, I didn't think that there were people who defied Zander's words or challenged him.

I would've been one of those too, but I wanted more from this relationship to be too meek to let it fly by.

So I asked another question. "Why haven't you talked to me about the mating process?" I had to find out from Cameron how vampires mate with their fated one. Of course, it was an intense sexual experience that involved a bite and sharing of blood. 

"I just wanted to make sure you were ready."

"Don't patronize me, Zander!" I snapped. "You just want to find every other reason to spit out instead of saying the real one! I'm not a fucking idiot," I growled lowly, watching him narrow his eyes. "Lety told me it was a way for me to get to know everything about you, but it seems you're still holding back," I clicked my tongue with a sigh, wishing he would just tell me what it was that was on his mind.

"If you don't want me to be your fated, just say that," I whispered, feeling a pout coming along. "But please don't string me along if you have no god damn intent on letting me see the real you. You know everything there is about me," I frowned, staring into his crestfallen orbs. "So it isn't fair that you won't share that sentiment. There is nothing in this world that could make me change my mind about you."

Then it went silent. 

It was clear that he was struggling with something as I could see the fight in his eyes, but it meant nothing to me because he wasn't telling me anything. Just something would help ease my worries.

But I got nothing.

"You know, part of me wanted to not ask anything because I was too scared to. I didn't want you to let me down like everyone else in my life did," I spoke, twiddling with my thumbs. "But this world is something entirely new to me, and you want me to trust you. After everything that has happened, you don't think I need to know anything? For safety reasons? I don't know who to trust here because I don't know anything."

I took a deep breath.

"You know, I'll give you some time to figure out what you want to do, but I need something from you, Zan, otherwise, this relationship will be pointless," I stated bluntly, hearing a sharp intake of breath from him. He didn't like that statement, judging by the sheer anger radiating from his form.