II.

"Hey, guys! Sorry, I'm late!"

I busted through the entrance of the local diner, Good Eats, feet prancing across the black and white tile flooring, seeing Michelle and Hunter turning around in their seats to wave at me. "What took you so long?" I took a seat on one side of the booth, seeing Hunter and Michelle on the other with a textbook in between them. "Sorry, the debate vice-captain wanted to go over some categories that may be of interest to me," I explained and Hunter rolled his brown eyes, fixing me with a stare.

"You're too nice, Eli," He blinked at me, shaking his head. I didn't quite agree with what he was saying. I liked to be nice because it was the rule of treating people the way you wanted to be treated. "You can never say no."

I couldn't deny the validity of that statement. I couldn't say no to people, my heart wouldn't let me. 

I went to go speak on behalf of defending myself as he snorted, looking into his AP history book, but all of a sudden, the television scared the daylights out of me. "Hello, Denver. This is Kristina Bailey reporting to you live from Devil's Tombstone Forest," I blinked in hearing the name of the forest that surrounded East Ravenwood on the outskirts of Denver, bordering the nearby city of Lakewood. 

She was standing in front of crime scene tape, the light and sirens of ambulances echoing off of the plasma t.v as we watched body bags being wheeled off on gurneys. "I am here at the crime scene in which there were two bodies discovered. Sources tell me that one was a female in her 20s, and the other was a male in his 30s. They have not been identified, but police are at a loss with the developments in this case," Kristina explained as the camera zoomed in on an open body bag.

My mouth fell in horror as my eyes landed on pale white skin splattered with blood. "As you can see, these murders have a distinct style about them: a wide hole through their body where their heart should be," We could see that there was a bloody hole through the right centermost part of their chest, but what was extremely interesting yet off-putting was the black thing that the victims were clutching in their hand.

It was their bloody black heart.

"Qué?" I muttered to myself, wondering what on Earth could make a person's heart black like that. More importantly, why were the arms and hands of that person so damn pale? I blinked in confusion, seeing everyone engrossed in her words. 

"This is the third time in two weeks finding pairs of victims with m.o," Kristina said and I sighed, shaking my head. "Police suspect that these murders were done with a piece of wood, a stake perhaps, given the shape of the hole," I grimaced, wondering why things like this were happening out of the blue. What sick person would want to invoke pain on someone else? And in this manner?

"The perpetrators are at large, and sources tell me that there hasn't been any information found yet to incriminate any possible suspects," Kristina sighed, looking fearful. "Back to you, Trey."

I blinked back to the table, seeing Michelle turn from the t.v to give Hunter an intense stare, seemingly sharing her sentiments. She clenched her jaw as he narrowed his eyes, apparently angry about something. I narrowed my eyes, wondering what they were both thinking. It was an unusual time, that was right, but I was just confused about what was going through their mind, and why they seemed to be so knowledgeable of each other. "Um—"

I jolted in my seat a bit, gathering their attention. I could feel my phone vibrating in my pocket, so I paused my end of the conversation to answer it. "Hello?" I spoke without looking at the screen to see who it was. "Eli Matteo! When are you coming home?" The harsh voice of one Isobel Velacruz, my dear mother. She was probably home from her job of social work, so she was looking for me.