VII.

Time stood impeccably still.

"In this world, there are divine beings outside of humans. Vampires are one of them," Zander pointed to himself and I nodded, following along. "In the vampire culture, every one of us, whether turned or born a vampire are given a fated one, their beloved, who has the other half of their immortal soul. You are mine to love, to cherish, to protect, my everlasting soulmate," He explained as simply as he could, watching me take it all in.

So I was basically his one and only boyfriend??

What?

I stared at him, taking in his face as I relished in the new information. "I can do no wrong by you because you're the only one that I'll ever have. But why would I want to anyway?" He raked his silvery blue gaze from my head to toe, licking his fang in an erotic manner. "It seems fate made me a lucky man, lubirea mea."

I blushed, looking away from him. I needed a distraction so I could fully think about this. "What does that mean, lubiyuhh—" I tried so hard to pronounce it and Zander snorted, shaking his head. "Lubirea mea? It means my love," He commented and I blushed even harder, deciding to change the subject.

"What were you saving me from, other than my accident?" His face darkened and his jaw tightened, indicating that this conversation was dark territory that we were heading into. "If you're sure you want to know, then I will tell you." I nodded, motioning for him to tell me. I felt at ease with him as if I knew him for my whole life, but I had nothing to lose at this point. He took a deep breath, his eyes turning a shade of black as he clenched his hands.

"Cecilia Radcliffe."

I pursed my lips, wondering who that was. Zander looked absolutely conflicted as he began to relay the details to me. 

"I'm from Lithuania," He said. "Zarasai to be exact," He said and I frowned, never having heard of that place. "Long ago, I was the first to be turned by that vile woman. She herself was the only vampire looking to create a powerful coven in Zarasai," I had half of a mind to ask how old he was, but I kept it to myself. 

"It took me a while to turn into what I am now, so I merely came to in the middle of the forest, thinking nothing happened. I went home to my father and my life resumed as it was," He looked incredibly troubled with what he was thinking about, and part of me wanted to comfort him, let him know that I was there, but I feel as if he didn't want any consolation.

"Long story short, she is upset because I am the very powerful ruler over all of the vampires that are known to exist. As someone with nobility in me and very diverse powers, it was befitting that I would lead a coven," Zander sighed, looking down at the ground. "Cecilia, to this day, attacks me and brethren out of spite for the simple fact that the vampires chose me and not her."

I knew there was more to the story, but judging by the tightening of his grip of my hand, he didn't want to tell me about it.

"It sounds like a simple feud that could easily be handled, but don't take Cecilia Radcliffe lightly," His eyes flicked back up to him, hardening. "She is still alive for a reason, and she is very powerful. She has her ways and she has her methods," He pointed to me, reminding me of the person I saw dashing towards my car.

"She has people on her side, some lowly vampires that she turned just this century," I blinked at him in astonishment, wondering if I heard that correctly. "You probably saw one of them on your drive through the forest. Something tells me that she knows of who are you to me, and I expect nothing less for her to try to use you to get to me. A smart plan it would be," He mused and I gulped, gathering the intensity of the situation. 

I wasn't going to lie to placate anyone—I was terrified. I was just finding out about vampires actually existing, but to find out that one of them was after me because I was the fated love of a powerful man? I needed several decades to process this information.