——

We arrived home and Malachai went straight to the fridge, pulling out a beer and cracking it open.

I sat on the couch as he soon joined me.

Malachai: you're being very quiet. He commented as he took a sip of his beer.
Betty: I still don't know how you feel. I said.
Malachai: I wish it wasn't a Serpent, especially Sweet Pea, but there's nothing either of us can do about that. He said.
Malachi: I'm not mad at you, I never will be. He said.
Betty: I'm not doing this to hurt you. I said.
Malachai: I know you wouldn't do something like that. He said and I nodded my head.

We spoke a few brief words. I then decided to call it a night.

——

I had just finished getting ready for my date with Sweet Pea and I was excited. But I didn't want to have to leave my room. I couldn't face Malachai.

I know he isn't mad at me, but I don't want to push it.

I know he's not okay with it deep down.

It started getting late and I needed to leave.

I stepped out of my room and into the lounge. Malachai's eyes landed on me and he scanned my body.

Malachai: you look really beautiful Betty. He said making me blush.
Betty: thank you Kai, it means a lot. I said and he gave me a soft smile.
Betty: I'll see you soon. I said as I walked out of our apartment.

I've lived with Malachai for the past year.

My dad was taken away to prison and my mum joined a cult, where she decided to sell our house. The house I lived in and grew up in.

When Malachai found out about my situation, he didn't hesitate to invite me to live with him. I felt guilty as I didn't want to be a burden on him, but he promised I wouldn't be.

I soon arrived at Pops and saw Sweet Pea already there waiting for me.

When he saw me, he barely even gave me a smile.

I took a seat opposite him and smiled.

Betty: you look really nice. I said.

I've never been on a date before so I was a little nervous.

Sweet Pea: you look nice too. He said.

——

From the beginning of the date, I could tell that something was just not right.

He didn't seem that sincere or interested in what I had to say.

It's when we got to the last ten or so minutes of the date that I knew this was just a trap.

Sweet Pea: so tell me about Malachai. He said as he took a sip of his milkshake.
Betty: I'm sure you didn't come to talk about Malachai. I said with a fake laugh.

The only reason Sweet Pea asked me out was to get information on Malachai and the Ghoulies. I can't believe I was so stupid to think he liked me.

Sweet Pea: I don't mind. What's he planning next? He chuckled, trying to act all chill.
Betty: I don't really know anything, he doesn't tell me. I said.

That was a lie, he tells me everything.

I watched as a frustrated look grew on his face. He was not impressed.

Betty: it's getting late, we should probably call it a night. I said.

I wanted to leave and forget this stupid date ever happened.