Chapter 4

It was an abnormally cold night for spring. It felt like it was in the twenties but who knows.

I can't feel my feet. I thought as I moved my bag onto the step above me and used it as a pillow.

I can't help but think over the things my dad had said to me. His words were taunting me. I decide that laying on my porch steps was cold and uncomfortable. So I call my best friend Adrienne.

Ring. Ring. After the third ring I realized that it was four in the morning and it's wrong to call her at this hour. Plus, she's probably asleep and I shouldn't wake her up, but just as I went to hang up. "Hello?" She muttered groggily.

"Uhhh sorry, did I wake you?" I asked. That's stupid of course you woke we up, dipshit.

"Yeah, but it's fine what's up?" She was genuinely interested and her voice held slight concern.

"My dad brought me home early and my mom locked her door so I can't get in. I was wondering if you could come get me.If not that's okay I can wait or call Cameron," I rushed the last part.

"Nah it's cool I'm on my way." She said and I heard shuffling on the other end of the call.

"Thanks," I said monotonous. I felt bad for making her do this.

Within the next hour I was at her house and we were sprawled across her red colored bed shoving popcorn in our mouths as we watched Ghost Whisperer. Soon the episode was off and another was about to begin but, of course, there were commercials.

"So what happened to your back?" She asked getting straight to the point. I think her curiosity was eating her alive all this time because she was looking at me expectantly waiting very impatiently for an answer.

I had to come up with a good excuse quick because otherwise she would see right through me. My mind went hopelessly blank. "Promise you won't tell anyone," I said stalling, but then I thought of an accurate excuse.

"Promise," she said.

"Because it's really embarrassing," I said holding off my lie just to annoy her.

"Oh just tell me already I'm going insane!" She nearly screamed in my face.

I took a breath and began. "I was on the stairs, just kinda standing around and I lost balance and fell over the railing backwards." I said cracking up a little at just how accurate that could be. I would do that but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

She looked at me with a blank face before bursting out into fits of laughter but once she calmed down and just giggled she managed to stamper out, "h-how c-can you lose your balance standing?"

"I don't know but I did it," I said laughing a little.

"Is it looking any better?" She questioned getting a little serious.

Should I lie? Or should I tell her the truth? Maybe I'll tell her everything... No, I can't, no good would come of that. "A little better but not much," I say shrugging my shoulders.

"Maybe you should get it checked out," she suggested.

"Nah I'll be fine it's just a bruise," I brushed it off quickly.

"Yeah, one that takes up your entire lower back. It's totally nothing to worry about." She mumbled under her breath just loud enough for me to hear, the last part laced in sarcasm. I waved my hand dismissively at her and she rolled her eyes. I had dropped the subject and she let it go.

The rest of the night was just us goofing off and laughing until we couldn't breathe. I loved my best friend, she could take your mind off anything and cheer you up fast. It was times like these that I needed her but I would never admit that. She was helping me and she didn't even know it.

In the morning we ate breakfast and hung out until about 9am, then I went home and immediately went to my room. Jay leaves around six in the morning on week days for work. On weekends he watches tv all day then around nine he goes to the local bar.

He would usually go to work, building houses and other constructions. He is a General Laborer. After work he comes home to take a shower and freshen up after that it's about nine at night or so depending on what time the job got done, he would then head to the bar called The Iron Skillet, It had great food but it was still a bar and I was only seventeen so if my mom went she would bring me back some of their food, but normally Jay wouldn't come back until three or four in the morning. He was almost always drunk but on week days when he had to work he drank a little less.

He had anger problems and if I did something wrong he would hit me to teach me a lesson. For example, one time I didn't shut the door all the way so he punched me in the stomach. Although I deserved it, he hits me when I talk back. When my mother fights with him it's worse. I try to find some place else to stay when I can but I don't want to bother anyone so I keep to myself. Nobody knows but I desperately want to tell Cameron and Adrienne. Maybe they wouldn't tell. No of course they would. They would want to protect me. Right now my mom and I are on our own.

I got hungry, so I went down stairs quietly. I tip-toed across the living and dining rooms and into the hall. Then once I reached the kitchen I saw my mom standing in front of the fridge. I didn't think she was home. She turned and saw me and then opened the door of the freezer. "I was wondering where you were, I was just going to wait for you." She looked at me quizzically, she probably didn't know I was here either.

"Yeah I've been here for an hour," I replied.

"Well it's only four, are you hungry?" She asked me.

"Yeah, I was just coming down here for some food." I admitted and she smiled slightly.

"We'll go out to eat together," she offered with hidden excitement. "Just the two of us," she quickly added after seeing my reaction. I guess I made a face, thinking Jay would be there.

"Just the two of us," I reminded.

"Yes," she assured me.

"Then sure," I smiled.

"Great and I have some place I want to go, other than the restaurant of course." She giggled shutting the door to the freezer.

"Of course," I responded. "And where might that be?"

"We're going to take a trip down memory lane," she said cryptically walking out of the kitchen but I followed her.

"Tell me where we're going!" I exclaimed grabbing my leather jacket.

"It's a surprise!" She said with a smile on her face that was spread from ear to ear and we walked to the car.