Chapter fifty two - In which HYDRA retaliates

Start from the beginning

As he talked, a phone began ringing on the table next to him. The first time it rang he gave it an odd look, silenced it and carried on talking to the two of you. The second time it rang he ignored it completely, but the third time he snatched it up mid-sentence and spoke angrily to whoever was on the other end.

"What?" he asked angrily, at the same time as the door burst open and several SHIELD guards came pouring into the room.

"Sir-"

You and Loki felt it first, a split second before the others, reaching for each other simultaneously as a loud explosion rocked the building.

Quite hilariously, Loki's first thought was not again. Rather rapidly after you thought that you realised that there was not much funny about the situation.

"It's HYDRA sir, we're almost certain of it, we need to get you-"

Loki was three steps ahead.

"Y/N can get you all out quicker. I'll go down and see what I can do downstairs."

"No." you said, tightening your hold on his arm.

"Yes." Loki told you; you both stood up. Screams and yells were echoing from the streets below, and then there was another loud bang and a tremor, bigger than the last one had been.

Get as many people out as you can and make sure the team get here quickly.

"Loki-" you spoke over his thoughts to you, trying to hold on to him as he pulled away from you.

Quickly Y/N. And then he was gone. Your head span, thirty seconds ago you'd been daydreaming about what you were going to have to eat when you got back to the tower.

"-need to contact the Avengers..." Fury was saying.

"No you don't, they'll already be on their way." you said, snapping back into reality. People were most likely dead or seriously injured downstairs where the explosion had come from, Loki was right, you needed to be fast. Ignoring the protests from the SHIELD guards, you grabbed hold of Fury and one of the other guards and teleported them to safety about two blocks away.

"How dare- Y/N! I need to get back-" Fury protested, yanking his arm from your tight grip.

"You need to stay safe above anything else and you know it, SHIELD need you. Keep him away from HQ." you said sternly, first to Fury and then to the SHIELD guard, and then you teleported back into the building. Chaos was reigning. People were throwing things out of windows for no apparent reason, threating people on the streets below who were gathering around the scene of the explosion. You hoped the team would be here soon, Nat would sort them out in no time.

The next ten minutes passed in a blur of teleporting SHIELD agents to safety; you began to feel quite dizzy after a while, a combination of both yours and Loki's efforts. He was currently holding the groundwork of the building together.

"You'd think they'd have better security in a place like this, wouldn't you? I mean it is the headquarters of a secret spy organisation."

"Tony, maybe now's not the time."

"Just trying to lighten the mood, someone's gotta keep the laughs coming."

Resisting the overwhelming urge to turn and launch yourself at Tony, you settled for throwing him a big smile to show him that you were okay (ish, considering the circumstances), and continued to search for agents who were unable to get to safety. It was another five minutes before you felt Loki really beginning to struggle.

Y/N, I appreciate that you are preoccupied, but if this building goes down...

I know. I'm coming.