Chapter fifty one - In which it really is a free holiday

Start from the beginning

The house was immaculate, minimalistic and beautiful. The whole first floor was open plan, with a huge kitchen diner and living room; the far wall was entirely made of glass which looked out over the ocean. Spiral staircases led up and down in the centre of the space; you assumed these led to the garage below and the second floor above. The whole thing reminded you forcibly of the pictures Tony had showed you of his house in Malibu.

Thinking of Tony had been a mistake: first you were hit with a fresh bout of homesickness and then immediately starting wondering whether the team had heard news of the attack on the hotel you'd been staying in. They must have heard by now, the agent had said the attack had happened eight hours ago and you were five hours ahead because of the time difference, so it would have happened early in the morning for them. It would be late afternoon back home by now.

Y/N, they don't even know what our mission was, let alone whether we were in that hotel or not.

They knew we were going to be in London on a mission for SHIELD, and now there's been a bombing in a hotel full of SHIELD's biggest rivals in the centre of London. They're not entirely stupid.

Well...

"Do the team know we're okay?" you asked the agent, who was now digging around in a bag for something else. He looked up at you blankly.

"The Avengers. What have they heard?" Loki clarified for you.

"I'm afraid I don't know." the agent said apologetically.

You went into his mind; he was telling the truth.

"Can you find a way to let them know we're alright?"

"I can talk to Fury..."

"Fury will be denying that he or SHIELD had anything to do with this incident, he won't want to be seen contacting the Avengers almost immediately after it happened." Loki interjected.

"Please." you implored, holding his gaze.

"I... I'll see what I can do." he told you, looking at you for a second more before returning to searching around in his bag. Loki led you over to one of the sofas while you waited and sat you down, feeling your forehead as he did so.

Lokes, stop fussing. I'm fine.

At the hospital they said to make sure you didn't overheat, it could be a sign that the wound is infected.

You took his hand away from your forehead and kissed the back of it.

I'm okay.

"Right, you need to take this." Agent Shawcross was now holding out the keys he had used to get in, some sort of credit card and a phone. Loki took the items from him.

"Keys for the house, the card to get food and essentials and a phone for emergencies only. It'll put you straight through to the London HQ so make sure it really is important if you do feel the need to use it." he told you.

"Are you leaving?" you asked. You didn't know what you'd been expecting, he had no reason to hang around here any longer.

"Yes, I need to get back up to London and help cover up any sightings of the two of you."

For some reason this made you feel rather guilty.

"Thank you." you told him. "Really."

"Just doing my job." he replied, giving you both a tired smile.

"Make sure you don't leave this house without that disguise thing you do, we don't want to have even more work on our hands."

"How long will we be here for?" you asked.