32

Kalani's POV
When Seven left, I couldn't help but think of all that he has said to me. Yea, I kinda believed that Montero was in the mafia especially if two people were now confirming it, but the part where I'm his queen and he will protect me with his life, I really couldn't believe that.

And even if I did, and I chose to stay by his side, how would I explain that to my father, my family, that now I'm choosing a different path, one that was different to theirs. I have lived with the law by my side ever since I was born, would I give up all of that because of Montero, because of my children?

Would I really just leave everything behind and be his queen? I mean, that's like taking a husband? Would he even want to take me as his wife because that's how all of it is back at home.

If you take someone's ladyhood, you marry her. But will Montero be willing to marry me, will my parents let me go, will I myself be ready to sacrifice my life for a whole new one?

What kind of lifestyle would that be? would my kids live in fear? Will they need to know how to protect themselves, shoot and even kill to survive?

Will I be willing to let that happen to them, not let them have a normal life like normal kids? Because I want them to be safe at all costs and if Montero's lifestyle isn't what keeps them safe, I don't want him. I don't want anything to do with him.

Taking a deep breath, I looked at the room I was in and I thought of the many things I would be doing right now if I hadn't met Montero. I rubbed my tummy, thinking of how my babies are growing so fast.

But thinking back to school, I would probably be writing exams and listening to Eva and her craziness. But no, it has been two weeks and it's been a drag. And still, I'm suck here with killers and rapists.

Seven has been kind to me. Promised he would take care of me until I got out safe and sound with my babies. I then started relaxing. He would bring me food, which wasn't half bad, and sometimes when he went out, he would bring me my newest favourite thing since I got pregnant, donuts with sprinkled cheese.

I have been worried about my family, Montero and not a word from Eva. Everytime I try to bring into the conversation, Seven always pushes it away. Like he knows something I don't. Or he doesn't want me to know something important regarding Eva.

And I have tried talking to him about it. Instead he would update on Montero and Johnathan and the mother. Nothing about Eva. And I was started to get worried about her. So when Seven comes back again, I'm ask him with no exception to lie to me.

******************************************************
Roman's POV
When I woke up, I was in hospital, again. This has got to stop seriously. My head was pounding and my ribs hurt like hell.

When I tried moving, My doctor came in and stopped me.

" I think you should lay down for a few more moments." She said.

"Doctor Kingley." I smiled.

"You seem to be very fond of us past these weeks." She smiled back.

"What can I say, y'all are all a charm."

"Still flirting I see." She said checking my vitals. " I guess you good."

"Off course." I replied sitting up. "How is Johnathan?" I asked.

"He got hurt bad. He broke his tendon, two ribs and strained his ankle. There was a lot of internal bleeding which led to kidney failure. He has underwent surgery and his still in intensive care, but he'll pull through. But what worries us the most is his head injury." She then looked at me intensively.

"Although his brainwaves are good and his MIR came back clear, anything is possible. At this rate, he might suffer from amnesia or worse he might never get back his memories again."

My heart deflated. How could this be? I rubbed my temples to try and minimize my head pain but it only seem I was getting worse.

"And my mother, how is she?" She then looked away and started walking towards the window.

"Your mother's case is more complicated." She stated.

"How so?" I asked, trying to get out the bed. When Kingley saw what I was trying to do, she rushed back to hold me get back to bed.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you. I know you need to recover fast and if you get out of bed without proper care, you will stay longer than you want."

"My mother doctor, how is my mother?" I brushed aside what she said. And although it was true I wanted to come out, but I needed to know my mother's condition.

"Ok I will tell you, just go back go bed then." I did as I was told and she took a chair and sat next to me.

"Your mother has cancer Roman. Leukaemia." I think after that point, I couldn't hear anything she was saying. How could this be? She was so lively and strong, how could it be?

"Rom," doctor Kingley shook be back to life.

"Continue..." I said, still fazed.

"It's level four. She didn't want to tell you nor your dad because she knew y'all would worry. She found out late and there was nothing she could do. We tried convincing her to do chemo but she refused. Said she didn't want to put herself in that kind of pain if she will have to die anyway. You know how stubborn she is. Even if I told you, you would have succeeded."

"I would have tried doctor." I yelled, with tears in my eyes, "you didn't give me a chance to try." I whispered.

"She didn't want anyone to try." She said hold my hand. "Even if I told you, she would have done everything to avoid it."

"But that wasn't your decision to make doctor." I looked the other side. " how much time does she have?" I asked still not looking at her.

"A little over six months." I then nodded my head and she squeezed my hand one last time and she left.

Mother...

My mother was dying and I couldn't save her. I couldn't make her feel better. All I could do was try and ease her pain. And it all started to make sense as to why she wanted me to marry fast, why she wanted me to keep the kids I had with Kalani. She knew she couldn't stay any longer with us.

And I was going to grant her last wish. I was going to getting Kalani back and I was going to marrying her. Even if it was for pretend. She at least deserved a makes believe happy ending.

But first, I needed to get out of here.