Chapter 4 | what the future holds

--------------------> CALISSA WATCHED as Arundhati hummed as she painted her

--------------------> CALISSA WATCHED as Arundhati hummed as she painted her. Occasionally, her hand would hover over the canvas for a few seconds and her eyes would turn abruptly cold and cloudy and her smile would turn stiff before her previously tight shoulders would once again relax and she would continue humming.

Those few seconds were Calissa's only clues that Arundhati was Seeing another vision.

It was no secret among those of the Sisterhood that Arundhati was probably the only one among them who wasn't fond of her ability, even after having had time to get used to it for hundreds of years.

Most of the things that Arundhati Saw came true and most of the things that Arundhati Saw were extremely scary to even think about.

Most of the time, Arundhati would remain tight-lipped about her visions to Calissa especially, perhaps thinking it would traumatise her. But Calissa didn't know why Arundhati bothered, because most times, Calissa herself would be able to speak to the victims of Arundhati's visions as they appeared as ghosts in front of her.

Arundhati was kind. She liked to think that the burden of Seeing unspeakable horrors should be carried by her alone.

The Sisterhood understood that, even if they didn't necessarily like it, but they made sure to support their only Seer in the best way they could- by bombarding her with hugs and cheek kisses and keeping stock of all her favourite sweets treats.

What the Sisterhood had realised about Arundhati's visions over the duration of time was that they always came true unless they were directly interfered with by the Sisterhood themselves.

The first of November all those years ago would have gone completely differently had her sisters not intervened. A horrible way, really.

But thankfully, they did, and she was blessed with a lovely childhood filled with laughs and chocolates.

The other victims of her visions hadn't been so lucky, and Calissa could still remember all those times during when she was growing up --and even now-- when Su Kyung would immediately take her away to a different location and Hera's face would melt into softness and pity. Calissa could still remember the sounds of Arundhati's muffled yells of frustration and anger as a river of tears streamed down her eyes as yet another victim of her vision was killed, assaulted, abused, abandoned, raped or hurt.

Just because they weren't allowed to interfere in the affairs of the outside world didn't mean they have to like that rule.

Arundhati constantly carried that guilt with her. She would send flowers of condolences or put money in the victim's or their family's bank accounts. She would paint a picture of every single victim, so they could be remembered and cry, so they had someone who would grieve for their death.

Sofia, Amanda Smith, Adagu and Hera would immediately comfort Arundhati during those times. Their empathic and compulsion abilities came in handy as they showered words of comfort on Arundhati, who would give them a shaky smile at best and repeatedly say that she was fine even though she clearly wasn't.