Chapter Nine

Harrison Potter's Point of View

I didn't see Edward for the rest of the day, or for the rest of the night for that matter. I had woken up later this morning since it was a Sunday. I think I had really upset him. I didn't want him to be upset though. How do I fix it? He seemed fine that morning before he left but he became cold and closed off when he came back this afternoon. Did something happen during his hunt? No, I don't think so. Not to be narcissistic, like my brother, but I think it had something to do with this afternoon, when Luna, Draco and I had been mucking around.

My brain was swirling with a million different thoughts, as well as questions. I didn't know what to make of it all so I did something to help calm everything down. I moved the chairs out of the way and sat cross legged on the floor, closing my eyes, and allowing myself to get in touch with not only my magical core but also my mind. I read about doing this in the book on mind magics. It is supposed to help you get in touch with all that is going on in your mind and your body so that you can organise your mind, a form of occlumency, but also re watch memories and get a deeper understanding of what was going on.

I felt myself lift off of the ground, my magic was buzzing lightly in the air and I kept my hands still on my thighs. I focused in on the howling wind coming from outside. The weather wasn't the nicest today and so I expected a lot of people would be keeping inside the castle. Focusing on the wind helped me focus my mind. It allowed me to get rid of all other distractions and focus solely on my memories and feelings of yesterday.

~

Draco, Luna and I had long since forgotten the real reason why we had come down to the courtyard, which was to practice our spells, and had started a water fight with one another. Recently I have just been feeling like my whole life, as shit as it was, was turning around. I had three people I knew I could rely and trust on, three people who would be there for me and love me for who I was and not who they wanted me to be.

"Harry be caref-" Draco's exclamation of warning was lost to my ears as my feet slipped on the wet cobblestoned ground and I was preparing for my face to come into contact with it. Draco's arms seemed to catch me with this new found strength and now I realises that he wasn't the only one blushing in this moment. When I stood up abruptly causing the both of us to end up falling down, we only came closer.

I remember comparing Draco's lips to Edward's. In a split second a hundred questions went through my mind but now as I look back, I noticed him staring down at my lips too. Were we about to kiss? How did I feel about that? To be honest I wasn't so sure, I had never really thought about my sexuality before as I never really saw myself being in a relationship. Now that I think about it the thought of a relationship with someone made me feel warm inside. I decided I didn't mind whether my partner was to be a girl, a boy, or someone identifying as trans, or nonbinary. It didn't matter. Love is love right? Also, who needs a label? I sure as hell don't.

"What do you think you're doing" My eyes snapped up to see Edward storming over to where the three of us were and Draco and I were still centimetres apart on the ground. I concentrate more now. This was the part I didn't understand. Edward was like my guardian angel yes, but he wasn't my father or my mother, although it wouldn't be so bad if he was. You know considering he's over a hundred years old and that my parents don't really care about me. Off topic Harrison. Edward and I were going a strong bond with one another and I always thought it to be platonic, or just friendship if you will.

Maybe I had been wrong this whole time. Why else would he watch over me for 9 years if he didn't have some sort of feelings for me. Maybe I am looking into everything wrong. When he stepped backwards as I called his name this time around, I felt my heartbeat rise and my breath hitch in my throat as if someone was trying to strangle me. I didn't want him to leave and I didn't want him to be upset or angry with myself or my friends. I didn't have a clue about romantic feelings or relationships, maybe I should but I didn't, and I don't want to hurt someone because of me being uneducated.

I think it's time I do a little research, about relationships and feelings and all that sort of stuff. Then afterwards I can look back again and figure out where I stand and hopefully where Edward stands as well. Maybe there would also be information on Vampires and if their stance on relationships were any different to the ones humans grew up with.

>Time Skip<

It had been hours and the only time I left my room was to go down and eat lunch and dinner. Luna had been hanging out with some of her friends in Ravenclaw and Draco still wasn't all too comfortable in sitting at other house tables yet. As for Edward? Well I hadn't seen him since what happened yesterday, I hadn't even felt him there if you get what I mean. It's hard to explain but every time he is close by, I can feel his presence.

That meant I was pretty much alone, but it was okay, it allowed me to think more about what I had found out earlier today. Which actually wasn't much because the school didn't have a lot of books on vampires, let alone how they are in a relationship with someone. All I was able to find out is that they are tied to someone from the moment they become a vampire and they are to spend the rest of their life protecting that person and being there for them. That may mean that what Edward and I had was something like that but it didn't say it had anything to do with romance or love or whatever happens when two people like each other. Maybe we were soulmates, two people brought together to challenge and protect and care for one another but I wasn't sure, couldn't be sure.

After dinner had ended, I made my way towards the Hufflepuff common room and then down a corridor and into my room. I froze as soon as the door behind me swung shut. My window was open and I could feel the wind's breeze lightly caress my cheek. In the corner of my room I saw a tall figure standing there with golden hazel eyes and soft light brown hair.

"Edward" I breathed out not realising I had been keeping it in. He didn't say anything but he starting taking slow steps forward. He stopped when he was about half a metre away from me. His eyes seemed to be searching mine, for what, I didn't know.

"Harry, I am sorry for my outburst yesterday. I want to explain it all but I fear it may be too much for you to handle. You're so young, you shouldn't have to have your life restricted because of me". There was that same look in his eye from yesterday. Pain that seemed too great for one person alone to bear. I didn't know what he was on about, obviously it was something that vampires didn't want random folks knowing about.

"Harry every vampire has someone they are drawn too from the moment they become one. They are tasked to look over them, care for them, challenge them, protect them. But that's not the whole story. Have you ever heard of the word 'mates'. Every vampire has a mate, same with most other creatures like werewolves and veelas. Every creature has its own set of rules regarding this. But for vampires that person that they are drawn too, is their partner for life. We are destined to love that person and desire them and care for them and protect them at any and all costs. That person can choose to reject the vampire but the vampire will be cursed to spend the rest of their life lonely and miserable. Sometimes a vampire could go their whole life without finding their mate so they choose to make strong bonds with their coven instead. It is what I did for decades before I caught your scent. If that person were to accept the vampire however, they will be turned into a vampire so that they will be together until death do them apart."

I didn't know how to react. How could anyone after hearing all of this. My whole life confined to one person? Until death do us apart. Except for that vampires are immortal. My brain was overloading. I had never even been in a relationship before. While I may be a wizard, I didn't want to become a vampire. Part of me though reminded myself of what he said earlier on. 'that person can choose to reject the vampire but the vampire will be cursed to spend the rest of their life lonely and miserable'. I didn't want Edward to be miserable and alone but I also didn't want to have my life confined to a singular person for all eternity. I didn't want to become a vampire and watch my friends, or family, die. This isn't fair.

I looked up at Edward who was looking at me concerned. Tears had sprung to my eyes and I willed them away. I didn't want to cry in front of him. I needed to get out of here. I couldn't, I couldn't breathe.

"Harry-"

"D-Don't" I said my voice breaking as I took a step backwards from him. I saw the hurt flash across his face and I looked away. I didn't want to hurt him but I was a mess, I didn't know what to do. I didn't know what I wanted. I didn't even know if I liked him in that way. Who am I kidding, of course I was attracted to him, but did I love him?