Cake by the Ocean

Joe's POV

Two years since I walked out on my sister, my life is finally what I want it to be. I am once again in a band, one whose first single dropped today. Yes, that's right, Cake By The Ocean was released today; everyone in the world can hear it now, and it's due to be played on the radio for the first time ever within the next couple of minutes. Because of this, I've been driving around New York City aimlessly for the last half hour or so, radio tuned to Z100 so I can hear our masterpiece when it plays for the first time.

"That was Fall Out Boy with Centuries. Next up, we've got a brand new song for you, one that comes from ex-Jonas Brother band member Joe Jonas. Here is Cake by the Ocean, sung by breakout band DNCE," announces the radio host, and even though I knew it was coming I almost send my car into oncoming traffic. I never, ever thought I would see this moment, but here we are, and I couldn't ask for anything better.

I literally have to pull to the side of the road, hazards on, to listen to our song because it's dangerous for me to be driving this distracted right now. When I'm safely out of traffic, I put all my windows down and turn the radio up as loud as I can handle it, earning some looks from pedestrians nearby as that familiar beat rolls through the speakers. Then, my phone buzzes with texts from my band members, and, unable to stop grinning, I quickly answer them.

"Isn't that song a banger? I've only heard it once and I'm in love, so, just because, I'm gonna play it for you all again!" the radio host announces, and I feel my smile get wider

"Isn't that song a banger? I've only heard it once and I'm in love, so, just because, I'm gonna play it for you all again!" the radio host announces, and I feel my smile get wider. It's basically a rule that you don't play a song twice in a row on the radio, but this dude likes our song too much to care. That's an amazing feeling for sure.

I'm so grateful to Kevin for supporting me, for standing with me through everything that happened with our family over the past couple of years

I'm so grateful to Kevin for supporting me, for standing with me through everything that happened with our family over the past couple of years. He's never failed to be there for me, even when I know he was angry. He could've easily walked away; he didn't, and he still cares about me as much as he used to. And just when I think today couldn't get any better, I get a text from Nick.

Today is amazing

Today is amazing. It's amazing, and crazy, and a lot to take in, because I couldn't have ever foreseen any of this happening. I didn't ever think I could fix things with Nick, and I never imagined it would be so easy, but that's my younger brother for you. He's super forgiving, and on a day when I've found so much success, I can finally realize I may have overreacted a little when the Jonas Brothers broke up. Over the last two years I've never been happier than I am right now, however I can also say I'm not 100%. I'm still missing the most important person in my life: Brexley. I never dreamed I would be doing something like this without my twin sister by my side, and I don't want to be, but I can't go back now. She hates me. It's too late to try to make it right, which sucks, but it is what it is. I'll just focus on Nick, on Kevin, on my parents and Frankie, on Sophie. On DNCE. It's all I can do, all I could've dreamed of doing today. Almost on cue, my phone rings with a call from Sophie.

"Joe! Congratulations on your song release! I made the whole cast listen to it right in the middle of filming today," Sophie says as soon as I pick up.

"Really? Thanks, Soph," I tell her, smiling for about the thousandth time today.

"Of course! It's a great song. Kit even said he's sure he'll be playing it over and over again for the next week, at least."

"Well, I'm glad he likes it! I really wasn't sure how it would go over with an audience," I tell her.

"Oh, everyone here loves it, so I'm sure most everyone else who's heard it does too. How could you not? It's so full of energy, and exciting, and it just lifts your mood," she says.

"That was the goal. I'm glad it accomplished it! That's what we're hoping all of our songs will do."

"You're on a roll, then, J," Sophie says, and I smile once again.

"Thank you. Listen, Soph, I've got to drive home, because right now I'm parked on the side of Vesey street. But I can call you later, if you want," I say.

"Yes, please do! Drive safe, Joe," she says.

"I will. Talk to you later."

"Bye," she says, hanging up.

As I drive home I think of this; though my relationship with Brexley is nonexistent, I don't think today could've gone any better. I've basically fixed things with Nick, Kevin and I are on good terms, I've got Sophie supporting me all the time, and I'm part of a successful band again. Finally. I've finally made it back to myself.