However, she wasn't the only one.

Years later

Orders are such when someone is there to follow them - but who is really there to give them? Who is truly there to lead?

Everyone is given a conscience, a mind with the faculty of building a sense of right or wrong, with the faculty of taking action. Everyone reacts according to their own consideration of righteousness; it can be their own, or it can be settled into their minds. Judgement is a gift to existence - it is what distinguishes humanity from everything else - but angels, as well as any other living being, have doubts, too.

Laila was lost. She was set on earth to watch over the child who was to bring damnation upon the world - could they really prevent that? She had doubts. And she was given a choice - a choice that would inescapably set her on the wrong path.

"Laila. We have a problem."

"What is it?"

"The father, and the little boy, they are in the house."

Laila stiffened at the information - no, this couldn't happen.

"You were supposed to take care of it."

"I...I don't know what could've gone wrong. We were sure—"

"It doesn't matter." she breathed deeply, choking back her next words, "...do it."

"What?"

"I said, do it."

"But—"

"Are you not aware of Nathaniel's orders? We need to prevent much worse things from happening. It has to be done."

"But these are innocent people, Laila—"

"Do you understand the consequences we are risking? Do it," she warned, "or I will."

Moments of silence passed, tension dominating in the air as menacing stares were exchanged between the two angels.

"I can't."

Laila defeatedly stepped back; one moment she was there, and not long after she almost hesitantly stretched out her wings, and left. This was her mission. But she had doubts. And she would have regrets.

Not even seconds later, her feet carried her along the familiar carpeted floor - grounds she had walked before, for it was the place it had all started. Her frail fingers danced above the tired furniture, recalling to mind that right there, walking and running and giggling amid that same furniture, once lived a happy family. And, for the first time, the angel sensed uncertainty, filling her whole; for the first time, she was feeling. But this was her mission. She had orders, and she couldn't turn her back and walk away.

"...Nora?"

Out of her own thoughts and back to reality, she was no longer alone; Charles stood in the doorway, having heard noises, incredulous as to who he was seeing, thinking his mind was playing tricks. But Laila knew better - she was possessing the woman he loved.