19||Step: Demand or Divorce

Annika checked the gate again and again, it was her birthday but Shivaay wasn't back yet. He just sends her a plain Happy Birthday message midnight but didn't call like he promised. She didn't let anyone wish her because she wants Shivaay to wish her first. She didn't picked a single call of any of her friend neither let anyone in Oberoi Mansion wish her. It was childish but she wanted Shivaay to be the first one to wish her.

The disappointment and fear kept settling in her heart, as the clock showed quarter past three. He was supposed to be back early morning but it was going to be evening soon. The family members looked at her dejectedly, they tried to reach Shivaay as well but he wasn't receiving anyone's call.

"Annika Beta, he must be stuck in some work. Relax okay. He would be back soon. Don't spoil your special day" Shakti softly tried to convince Annika but something in her gut feeling was telling her something wasn't right. She didn't know what but she felt something wasn't right as if Shivaay was in some kind of pain. She was feeling this restlessness since yesterday.

"My day isn't special without him Papa" replied Annika, her eyes stuck at the Oberoi Mansion Gate. Pinki ambled up to her, softly placing her hand on Annika's head, she said "At least go and rest in your room, you haven't eaten anything since morning. Shivaay would go to his room immediately when he will be back."

"Exactly Annie, I am sure he must be planning a surprise for you" assured Rudra before pulling her to her room, he pushed her inside and locked the gate "Now rest, I know you won't eat anything until Bhaiya is back so just take a nap and stop worrying" he ordered from outside and Annika exhaled a deep breath trying to remove the melancholy forming in her throat.

She dialed his number once again and just like the last thirty five times, it wasn't picked up. She rested down on the bed, wiping the lone tear that escaped her eyes. Her mind wasn't settling down, tired and dejected she didn't realize when sleep engulfed her.

A slight shake woke Annika and much to her relief she saw Shivaay standing there, removing his blazer waking her up. Without a second thought she immediately engulfed him in a hug "You are back, I was so worried. Where were you Shivaay?" in her own racing emotions she didn't realize that he didn't hug her back.

"Okay I know I am being annoying-----" she said wiping her tears that escaped her eyes seeing him safe and sound "I was just worried; you said you will be back early morning and now its evening." She was interrupted by Shivaay "Come with me."

"But-----Okay" she wanted to ask him about wishing her birthday but couldn't. She could never demand anything from him. Her Gratitude doesn't allow her.

He took her into the hall where everyone was present; Annika felt something off with Shivaay's behavior but didn't have the audacity to ask. "Bhaiya where were you? You know Annie was waiting for you since morning. She didn't even let anyone of us wish her. I know you were preparing a surprise for her so now give it to her, wish her so that even we can wish her" said the ever cheerful Rudra.

Shivaay without a word forwarded a packed box to Annika who took it with a smile. "Just a single gift Bhaiya how unromantic" complained Priyanka but Annika was satisfied, anything from him values more than everything else in the world.

"Thank you" Annika replied with a smile but it fell of seeing his emotionless face and dead eyes. Something was amiss but she couldn't put finger over it.

"This is too stingy Shivaay but no problem open it Annika" asked Jhanvi and Annika opened it with a wide smile which fell off immediately seeing the content inside the box, her tears fell over it. She looked at Shivaay who was looking straight at a wall and nothing in particular.

"What's there in the box Annika?" asked Om concerned seeing the look on Shivaay and Annika. "Show me" Rudra snatched the box from Annika, even he didn't expect this. "Bhaiya? What is this?" asked Rudra, voice both hurt and angry.