Chapter 16

MULANS POV

I hung up on Ariel. A sickening feeling rushed to my gut. If that Gaston hurt Belle... I couldn't bring myself to even think about it. Quickly, I started to jog for the exit. But Shang yelled at me.

"Ping! Where do you think you're going?! We have practice!" Shang yelled after me. I heard snickers. Boys were so immature.

"It's an emergency!" I replied gruffly. Shang narrowed his eyes.

"I've been lenient with you. You're never here except practice. If you want to be on the team, act like it!" He snapped. Ugh. Whenever he was with me (as a girl), he acted like a perfect gentleman. But here? Not even close.

"I gotta go." I protested.

"If you leave, you're off the team!" Shang threatened. I felt anger towards him.

"I don't care!" I screamed. The members nudged one another. I hadn't used my deeper voice. He narrowed his eyes.

"What was that Ping?" Shang asked quietly.

I balled my hands into fists. One of my biggest flaws was that I was known to hold in my emotions, but burst any second.

Now was that second.

"My friend needs me." I glared at him. "More than I need this stupid team."

And on that note, I tore out of the gym.

Under my sweatpants I wore my favourite leggings. I undid the string that held together my baggy sweatpants and they flew behind me. I didn't pause to watch where they landed. Under my sweatshirt I wore a blue crop top. I also threw off my sweatshirt. It dropped onto the ground. I didn't bother to pick it up. My hair bounced out of the messy bun I had tied up.

The library doors were straight ahead. I saw Ariel banging desperately on the doors. She saw me. "They're locked!" She gasped.

My stomach felt like it was sinking. "What about the back doors?"

Ariel shook her head. "Already tried."

"Move." I commanded. She shifted away obediently. I threw myself at the door. My shoulders throbbed, but the door didn't budge. I yelled in fury. Ariel started to cry.

"What if..." she sobbed. I gave her a dark look.

"Belle will be fine. Don't you dare think like that!" I said fiercely. She nodded, but tears still trailed down her cheeks.

I eyed her hairstyle. She had pinned it up. If I was right, she had to have a hair clip or a bobby pin. "Ariel, pass me a hair clip or something!"

She complied, snatching one out of her hair. Her hair cascaded down her shoulders.

I carefully slipped the hair clip into the lock. I remembered how back in China Mushu had taught me how to open locks with just a hair clip. It has been really helpful, as I was often forgetful and forgot my key.

I clicked it against the lock. I heard the lock click. Ariel gave me a hopeful look, and I swung the door open.

The library was dark. I motioned for Ariel to stay quiet. We crept around, looking for any signs of Belle or Gaston. Ariel grabbed my arm tightly.

"Look!" Ariel hissed. She pointed towards a book shelf, where a shadow loomed.

"Listen to me closely." I whispered. I had a plan. "That's probably Gaston. You go up to him, and distract him. I'll sneak up behind and get him. Start yelling, and maybe Belle will hear you. Call for help after on your phone."