63| Hold Me Close And Hold Me Fast

Standing in front of the wooden door of Harper mansion, Maya was arguing with the security guard. She wanted him to give the notebook to Zachary while he was persistent that she should be invited inside so not to annoy Zachary.

"I can't come in, okay? There is a reason." Maya said to the old man.

"Ma'am, Zachary sir clearly stated that you should be welcomed inside whenever you comes. If he finds out I let you go like this, he will be angry." The man reiterated.

"What the---" she gritted her teeth to control her anger. "Please sir... Just..."

"Maya!" Zachary's voice echoed from inside. "What are you doing here?" Maya's head turned towards the source of the voice and her breath hitched when she found him there without a shirt. He looked like he was coming back from their home gym, with sweat covering his body and hair and a towel loosely hanging around his neck.

"I just wanted to give you your notebook back." Maya informed him.

Zachary's eyes narrowed into a glare after which he said, "Come inside. Don't stand at the door."

Maya felt stupid to continue the same argument so she visibly gulped and walked inside. She followed him to his room nearby, much to her annoyance. This was not the first time she was entering his room but this was definitely the first time after their kiss. More than one week had passed since that morning and they were keeping their distance since then.

Unknowingly, Maya's eyes remained fixated on Zachary's sculpted back. Each muscle in his back was defined and there was not an inch of fat on his body. Even when he turned around, his abs strengthened the notion that he was carved out by the God himself.

Blinking twice to clear her head, Maya raised her head and looked into his eyes. "I should be going." She said.

"Stay. I'll change in a minute and then we can talk." Zachary said as he walked over to his closet.

"Talk about what?" Maya asked.

"Us." Zachary said without looking at her.

Before she could ask further, he went into the bathroom. With clenched stomach and dried throat, she seated herself on the edge of his bed and looked around nervously. What were they supposed to talk about? The bigger question is, how were they supposed to talk?

She waited there for five minutes after which he finally walked out of the bathroom. Now dressed in fresh clothes, he reached the side of the bed where she was sitting and leaned against the wall, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"What?" Maya asked, feeling his focused eyes on her.

"Are we going to talk about it or not?" Zachary asked.

"About what?" Maya acted completely clueless.

"About the fact that I admitted out loud that I like you and you turned me down? Or maybe the fact that I kissed you and you gave me silent treatment after that?" He asked, still leaning against the wall.

Maya stayed silent for a moment, pondering over each possible response. "I clearly told you that I didn't see you that way." She said meekly.

"And yet, you responded to my kiss like your life depends on it." He pointed out and Maya's breath hitched at this. She wasn't planning on responding at all but when his mouth touched hers, she couldn't help it. All the inhibitions lowered and something twitched inside her.

"It's hard for me to believe that you don't feel the same." Zachary added.

"Maybe because you are so used to girls throwing themselves at you, you can't comprehend why someone wouldn't." Maya snarled back.