32| A Dinner From Hell

Spraying some cologne over himself, Zachary assessed his look in the mirror. He was wearing a crisp black shirt with blue jeans, with his hair tousled back. Rubbing his hands together, he took a long sigh and prepared himself for the dinner.

"I still don't understand why you invited her for dinner." Althea appeared behind him. "Plus this hairstyle makes you look constipated."

"We invite all our friends for dinner. It's nothing new." Zachary said, changing his hairstyle which will suit his facial structure better.

"But she is not our friend." Althea said, displeasure clear in her voice.

"She is my friend." Zachary shrugged.

"Really? Is she your new target? Are you bored with normal girls?" Althea commented sarcastically and Zachary rolled his eyes.

"I think Maya is more normal than any of us." He taunted. "Especially you, sis."

"Yeah, right." Althea said dryly.

Zachary was about to say something more when a servant came to told him about Maya's arrival. Ignoring Althea, he walked out of the room towards the main hallway of their house. He couldn't understand why he was this excited to have her here. She was just a girl.

In the hallway before the main gate, he found her standing nervously. She was playing with the hem of her top, her movements slightly fidgety. When he reached her, a hint of relief appeared on her face. "Thank God. I thought it was a prank." She smiled and her dimples deepened.

Zachary assessed her appearance from head to toe. She was wearing black jeans with a nude top embellished with white pearls. Her curls were simply falling down her shoulders in their usual style. She looked perfect for a casual dinner, unlike some girls who try too hard to impress people.

"You look nice." Zachary said, smiling at her. She was beautiful, not in traditional sense but there was something about her that made her look different from other girls, in a good way.

"I always do." She chuckled but he could sense the nervousness in her voice.

"Come on, my parents are waiting." Zachary said and led her to the dining table. "Don't freak out, okay. My family can be a little extra but there are nice people."

"I bet they are." He heard Maya whisper under her breath.

Maya's heart pounded inside her chest as she walked forwards. She didn't want to embarrass herself in front of the Harpers. She once again gave a look to her clothes, hoping she doesn't look underdressed. But her hopes get crushed when she entered the dining room and found everyone both Althea and her mother wearing pretty, girly dresses.

"Mom, Dad, meet Maya." Zachary said and Maya shifted on her feet in discomfort.

"Hi." She said first to Mr. Daniel Harper, the senator that she had watched millions of times in news. In person, he looked much more intimidating and strict. Then she said the same to Isobel Harper, who looked not a day above 25.

"Welcome to our home, Maya. Please have a seat." Isobel said with a warm smile and Maya did as she said. She seated herself on an empty seat and Zachary sat beside her. Their dining hall was two times bigger than her room and her parents rooms combined.

She turned her head towards Althea who looked completely disinterested. But when her mother motioned her, she passed a cold smile to Maya.

A servant came to serve dinner which consisted of different dishes like salad, salmon, grilled chicken, pasta, dinner rolls, dumplings and steamed vegetables.

"So Maya, what does your father do?" Senator Harper broke the uncomfortable silence prevailed on the table.

"He owns a superstore." Maya said and Daniel nodded with an unimpressed face.