Prologue

Rain pelted the window of the Marine ship as Garp gazed out the window. Sea water splashed onto the deck, spraying the already drenched crew. Seriously, how much longer was it going to take to get back to the base? The man let out a sigh. He also had to oversee the training of the three new recruits, each with their own unique personalities.

Honestly, he just wanted a day off or a nap, was that too much to ask?

Trudging off the ship, he could hear the cries of shock and confusion of everyone around him. A blinding white light flashed behind him, casting him within a dark shadow. Garp whipped his head around, trying to discern what exactly was happening, but it was impossible. Was this an idiotic attempt to destroy Marine Ford? And yet with that thought, who ever was powerful enough to create that light might be able to take down the base.

The light died down to an orb, as if the light itself was condencing into a solid spherical shape, floating within the dark waves in the storm. With every wave the distance between it and Marine Ford decreased, and Garp rushed down in an attempt to meet it.

What exactly was this orb? Was it condenced light?

A soft cry jolted him in his spot, and he spared a glance down at the waves to see an infant no older than one. His jaw dropped at the sight of the child, somehow staying a float and surviving the torrent of lightning strikes and-

BAM!

HOLY SHIT. Garp thought, frantically looking in the ocean for any sign of the baby. When he found nothing, the truth hit him hard in the gut. He jinxed it. He could have saved that baby, and yet he just stood there like an idiot, letting it get struck by lightning.

Was this how a Vice Admiral should act? Garp shook his head. He didn't deserve to be called such a thing.

Something soft patted his head reasuringly, somehow sneaking up on him without him noticing their presence. Tilting his head slightly, he was met with innocent E/c eyes staring into his soul. He rubbed his eyes, shocked to see the baby he had just saw struck by lightning before him.

This was impossible. And yet, when you're within the New World anything is possible, he supposed. Scooping the (surprisngly not wet) child up, another flash drew his attention back to the sea. A bright ball of light was zooming at an alarming rate towards the duo.

...he totally forgot about that thing.

Thrusting his hand out, Garp's eyes widened when it phased through his hand, crashing straight into the child, disappearing as though she had absorbed it's essence. The baby made no motion to indicate that she was hurt. She merely giggled, placing her small hands on the older man's face. Cooing, she clapped her hands, and a bag slammed into Garp's face.

Picking the bag up, a small piece of paper fluttered down.

To whomever this may concern,

Take care of this child.

Do not let her go into harm.

If she were to fall into the wrong hands,

you will doom us all.

As a small note,

her given name is L/n D. Y/n.

Treat her with care.

Garp groaned. What did he just get himself into? He really should have been pissed, and yet the child before him just made his heart melt. Maybe it would be alright to adopt her as his grandchild. He gazed into the sky tiredly.

When did it stop raining?