Chapter 2

Kara Danvers pushed her way into her apartment. Home at last. With a yawn, she threw her bag unto the couch as she made her way straight to the fridge. Even though it was freshly filled, nothing struck her fancy. Instead she eyed the colorful flyers pinned to the fridge door. Ordering in, again? It would be the third time this week and she wasn't made out of money. Her stomach rumbled though at the sight of tasty potstickers taunting her.

No! She had to resist. The Kryptonian super heroine threw her fridge door shut emphatically and waltzed over to her couch, dropping down on it. Absentmindedly, she started to fiddle with the buttons on her vest as she contemplated her options, the events of her workday still rattling through her brain.

Kara sighed and rubbed her temples. Food. Read up on the news. Check in with Alex. Maybe catch up on a movie while chatting with Lena. That was the plan for the rest of the evening.

The Kryptonian froze.

Something was different. The texture of the air had shifted. A subtle hum reverberated through the apartment.

Slowly she opened her eyes. Crap. What was that? A strange light was floating right in front of her.

Instantly alert, Kara jumped to her feet and scrambled for her phone. "Alex? There's something going on. Something is trying to come into my apartment."

"What is it? Should I send Dreamer?"

"I don't know." Kara stepped closer. "Right now it's just a shimmering little glowy thingie." In fact, the pink ball of light looked almost friendly as far as surprising invaders to her apartment were concerned. She looked closer.

"Be careful." Knowing her sister Alex added "Don't touch it." Kara instantly dropped her hand, the one that had already been halfway to poking at the strange apparition. "I'll send somebody in at once."

The connection started to crackle and went dead. The rose-colored, pulsating spec of light expanded into a brilliant portal, manifesting right in front of her. Out of it, a pink ring floated. Kara's mouth opened in surprise. It reminded her of the Legion Ring Mon-El had gifted her, formed more like a sigil rather than a piece of jewelry. Through the pink glow, Kara spied the emblem of a star embossed on it. It didn't look dangerous. Maybe somebody was trying to contact her? It wouldn't be the first time something like that had happened. She stood up straight and placed her hands on her hips. "What do you want?" she called out commandingly.

The floating ring stopped, vibrating in the air. The pink glow around it pulsed and suddenly, Kara could hear a voice reverberate through her head. It was a gentle voice. Female. Soothing, with the barest hint of a faraway echo.

Kara Zor-El, Last Daughter of Krypton, you have lost your true love. The Star Sapphires offer to make your heart whole again, to reunite you, to make you one of our own. Join us.

Kara's frowned. She felt her face grow pale. This wasn't exactly the typical call for help. "What are you talking about?"

In lieu of an answer, the ring just pulsed gently, its warm energy filling the room.

Kara raised her hand to touch it. As if in silent agreement it flew towards her. Kara blinked as the ring slipped itself onto her finger. A spark of energy traveled up her arm. In front of her very eyes, the glow enveloped her, manifesting fabric wherever it went, transmogrifying the clothes she was wearing. In barely the blink of an eye, her CatCo work outfit had changed into a skintight, elastic white and pink one-piece, the shape of a white star forming around her belly button. Long black boots covered her legs up to her thighs. A purple winged mask applied itself to her face. She was enveloped in the soft purple glow. It all felt very soft and dainty.

Wherever the fabric touched her skin, a small tingle of energy emanated, heating up her blood. Kara's heart thumped in her chest as she eyed the glowing portal with suspicion. The alien energy was making her feel woozy. She swayed lightly as she floated in the air, hovering barely two inches over the apartment floor. The pink vortex grew, expanding into a human-sized portal that seemed to be drawing her in. She could see stars blinking on the other side of it. Suddenly the soft melodious voice was back in her head.

We are the Star Sapphires. Follow us. We will make you one of our own. We need you.

Kara licked her lips. Her heart thundered on. Whatever the strange apparition meant, it probably boiled down to somebody being in trouble.