Episode 5: In Which We're Treading on Thin Ice

J/N: You have no idea how much I love the above photo. 
***

Episode 5: In Which We're Treading on Thin Ice

~A Blustery Santalune Gym Battle!~
***

The screen turned on to show a Poke Center in the morning before showing Serena and Fennekin eating at a table, sitting across from each other. Serena sipped her tea and put it down before sighing. "So nice...no early Rhyhorn Race practice for me and no Fletchling waking me up!"

She sighed wistfully. "Such a relaxing way to start the day..." She reached her arms upwards and stretched. Fennekin took notice of this and smiled, starting to stretch in the same way before accidentally tumbling backwards, causing Serena to giggle. 

Fletchling grumbled. Froakie raised his paw, preparing a Pound, before lowering it again. Fletchling had showed restraint in the previous episode, so he would let him go this time.

Next time, however...

"Fennekin, did you get enough?"

Fennekin smiled and held a paw up in reply before righting herself. "Yeah, I got plenty! The food here's pretty great!"

Serena grinned. "I did too." She stood up and grabbed her hat and backpack, slinging the latter over her shoulder before going to the door and shouting inside with Fennekin, "Thank you!" Serena then turned around and ran off the porch with Fennekin jumping onto her shoulder. "Let's go!"

Serena held her hat as she stopped right in front of the center, staring straight ahead. "Santalune City is straight ahead! Just a bit further and I'll finally see him!"

"That's good for you, Serena!" Fennekin agreed cheerfully as the camera panned out to show Santalune City from the distance before transitioning to the streets of Santalune, where Ash is shown running. 

"...did you seriously start your pokemon journey because of the Twerp?" Jessie asked, a hint of distaste in her voice.

Serena's eyes widened as she weakly tried to defend herself. "T-that is not the...only reason!"

Jessie huffed and muttered under her breath, "how pathetic..."

Serena's muscles tensed as she tried to restrain herself from yelling. Fennekin took note of this and leaned in to her trainer, rubbing her head against the latter's arm. "Serena, it's fine. Just ignore her."

Serena nodded weakly and turned back to the screen. Jessie didn't have any clue what she was talking about. Sure, she wanted to see Ash. Sure, she wanted to thank him for what he had done for her way back when. But was it the reason why she wanted to go on a journey? No. 

And for reasons she couldn't quite figure out, Jessie's comment had frustrated her more than she would've liked. 

"Our heroes have arrived in Santalune City, and soon, Ash will be challenging his first gym in the Kalos region!" Ash continues to run before close-up is shown on his face.

Onix let out a soft sigh. "And we are continuing with the stating of the obvious..."

Surskit shot a funny look at the rock snake. "I know it can get annoying but do you seriously have to complain every single time it happens?"

"Yes," Onix said. "If you've seen the sort of things my trainer watches, you'd be this way too."

Surskit snickered, "I guess so. Viola talks about it sometimes. It's the reason why she stocks up on movies anytime she visits Grant."