Chapter 14

It has been just over a month, Charlotte is still in the induced coma. Lucas is in Charlotte's room pinning up some Happy Birthday banners when Owen walks in. 

'I saw on Charlie's chart that it's her birthday.' Owen states. Lucas turns to face him. 

'Yeah.' He sighs and nods. 'Her eighteenth birthday and she's in a coma.' 

'That might change today.' Owen says with a smile on his face. 

'What do you mean?' Lucas asks confused.

'I have just come out of a meeting with the other doctors involved in Charlie's care. We have decided that we take the tube out and take her off the sedation.' Owen informs him. Lucas' face lights up. 'We're going to take the tube out now and then I'll start lightening her sedation. We'll remove the feeding tube and catheter a bit later on.' Owen then walks to the bedside, puts a pair of gloves on and turns to the machine with the sedation syringe driver in and lowers the dose and rate. 'The sedation will keep getting lower over the course of the next few hours. Do you want to wait outside whilst I take the tube out?'

'I want to stay with her,' Lucas shakes his head, 'if that's okay with you?' 

'Of course.' Owen nods. He then preps to remove the breathing tube. Five minutes later the tube is out. Owen turns his attention back to Lucas. 'If you get a nurse to page me when she wakes up, I will come and check on her.'

'Thank you.' Lucas nods appreciatively. 

'Of course.' Owen smiles. 'I'll leave you alone with her.' He then walks out. 

.

It's been five hours. Vic and Jason have joined Lucas at the hospital. They are sat by her bed when they hear Charlotte starting to come around.  Lucas bolts up and grabs onto her hand. 

'Charlie?' Lucas tightens his grip on Charlotte's hand. 

'Charls, come on, wake up.' Jason lightly shakes her. Charlotte slowly opens her eyes and looks at Lucas. 

'Hey.' He smiles, he eyes filled with tears. 'I was so worried about you.' 

'I'll go and tell a nurse that she's awake.' Vic states before walking out of the room. 

'Where-' Charlotte croaks. 

'Here.' Jason takes the cup of water from the table and places a straw in it. He holds the cup and straw for as she takes a sip. Once she's had some water, Jason puts the water back on the table. 

'Where am I?' Charlotte asks weakly.

'Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital.' Lucas tells her. 

'What happened?' Charlotte asks. Jason and Lucas look at each other concerned. 'Ha!' She laughs. 'Got yous!' 

'That wasn't funny.' Lucas tells her.

'Somebody had to lighten the mood.' Charlotte says. She looks around the room and out into the hallway for a few moments then back at her dad. 'Why isn't there any police here? What if Matteo finds me? What-' 

'Charlie.' Jason cuts her off by grabbing hold of her hand. 'Matteo's dead.' He states. 'He will never hurt you ever again.' 

'Are you sure he's dead? You know clever he is. He-' Charlotte replies. 

'He's dead.' Jason nods. 'I identified the body myself.' Charlotte smiles. 'Oh, and happy birthday.' 

'It's my birthday?' Charlotte asks.

'You were gone for 6 months and in a coma for just over a month.' Lucas informs her. 'Happy birthday.' He smiles before kissing her forehead. Vic then walks in followed by Owen. 

'Charlie.' Owen smiles. 'It's good to see you awake.' 

'Just lay it on me.' Charlotte sighs. 'How bad is it?' 

'You had major internal bleeding which we fixed with surgery,' Owen starts, 'you've also sustained some pretty bad fractures. Most of which have healed. You will have to go through some extensive physiotherapy. I have liaised with our physiotherapy and orthopaedic team and we have come to the conclusion that due to your injuries and the sheer amount of time you have spent in bed,  you will have to use a wheelchair until you get at least 90% of your strength back.' 

'How long will that take?' Charlotte queries.

'It will depend on how well physiotherapy goes.' Owen responds. 'We're going to start with some in bed physio which will just be loosening up the muscles in your legs, chest, arms and then we can start doing transfers from your bed to the chair. We'll be taking it one step at a time.' He adds. 'Before we proceed, I want to ask you, are you comfortable with male doctors, nurses and physios?' 

'Yeah.' Charlotte nods.

'Even if you have to be on your own with them?' Owen makes sure. 

'Yeah.' Charlotte nods once more. 'I'm not letting what Matteo did to me happen ever again.' 

'Okay then.' Owen nods. 'I'll check your vitals and then I shall get some of our ortho and physio team to come and talk to you.' 

~~~~~~~~~~~

Short chapter but better than nothing! This is more of a filler chapter. It has been a hot minute since I've updated anything but I am going through a lot right now and am trying to put my mental health first (massively failing at that seeing as it's 1:30am right now)! 

Let me know what you think!

Much love