Chapter 1

'You're Ripley's daughter?' Travis asks, shocked. 

'Yeah.' Charlotte sighs. 'Like I said, we're not close. We talk a couple of times a week and see each other maybe once or twice and month.'

'We'll radio him on our way to Grey-Sloan.' Maya nods. 'We're going to get you onto the backboard now. If you feel any pain, just let us know, okay?' 

'Yeah.' Charlotte replies. They roll Charlotte onto the backboard, put the C-Collar around her neck and stabilise her head. Once she's strapped onto the backboard they lift her onto the gurney. Ryan walks up to them. 

'I'll follow you guys to the hospital, I'm going to need a statement from her.' Ryan tells them. 

'That's fine.' Travis nods. He then looks down at Charlotte. 'Okay then, Charlie. We're going to get you into the aid car and do some proper checks.' Maya and Travis wheel Charlotte over to the aid car, lift her in, get in themselves and close the doors behind them. 

'Charlie, we're going to check your heart rate, your blood pressure and your oxygen levels.' Maya tells her as she hooks her up to the machines. 'We'll be able to tell if you have any internal bleeding.' 

'I know you're only doing your job but I've been part of the junior paramedic's programme and army cadets since I was thirteen, I know what all the checks are for and what they do.' Charlotte says. 'I know you're explaining what you're doing to keep me calm but it's fine.'

'Fair enough.' Maya smiles. 'You're not in pain anywhere else?' 

'No.' Charlotte responds. Travis sits on the bench and starts taking note of Charlotte's vital signs. 

'It doesn't look like you've got any broken bones, which is good.' Maya says.

'Right then, Charlie.' Travis sighs, once he's finished taking notes. 'All of your vital signs are within the normal ranges. Your blood pressure is on the lower side though. It's nothing to worry about right now.' 

'Like I said.' Charlotte smiles. 'Bumps and bruises.'

'I'll drive.' Maya states. She gets out of the back and runs around to the driver's cabin. Travis buckles himself in.

'Ready when you are Bishop!' Travis shouts. A few minutes later, Maya pulls away and starts the drive to Grey-Slogan. After a couple of minutes, Travis clears his throat. 'So, erm, Charlie, how come you're not close with your dad?'

'It's always been that way.' Charlotte says. 'My mom would barely let him see me when I was a kid because of his job and all. When I was thirteen, my dad went to court to try and get 50/50 custody, but it didn't work and that's that. My mom re-married a couple of years ago.'

'Your dad hasn't mentioned you before.'

'Doesn't surprise me.' Charlotte sighs. 'I bet he hasn't told his new girlfriend about me.'

'You know that he's dating someone?' Travis asks shocked.

'He's my dad. Of course I do.' Charlotte laughs. 'By your reaction, I guess you're her best friend and that you're one of the few people who know.'

'Yeah.' Travis laughs and nods. 'She wants to have kids but apparently your dad kind of hesitated or something like that.'

'It's because of me. Obviously.' Charlotte states. 'He doesn't want to go through what he went through with me and my mom again.'

'She - Vic - wouldn't do that to him.' Travis shakes his head.

'He wants another kid. I know he does.' Charlotte tells him. 'The last time we met which was about two, maybe three, weeks ago, he was saying how it would have been nice and still would be nice if I had a younger brother or sister that could look up to me and such.' The aid car comes to a halt and the back doors open a minute later. Dr Carina DeLuca, Dr Owen Hunt and Dr Alex Karev alongside some nurses are stood waiting. Maya helps Travis bring the gurney down. As they're doing that, Travis does the handover.