Chapter 13

AGAIN THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS CONTENT THAT MAY BE DISTURBING INCLUDING DESCRIPTION OF INJURIES AND MEDICAL PROCEDURES/EQUIPMENT.

~

~

~

~

Lucas runs into The Pit at Grey Sloan Memorial followed by Ryan, Sullivan and Vic. Owen, Alex, Meredith and Jo are waiting for him at the nurses station.

'Where is she?' Lucas asks. 

'She's in Trauma 1.' Owen replies. 'But we need to warn you.' 

'Charlie went through a lot of physical trauma so she has a lot of bruises and injuries. She has multiple broken bones and some internal bleeding which we're going to need to take her into surgery to repair.' Alex starts. 

'She's also severely malnourished so we've put in a feeding tube to try and get some nutrients into her.' Jo adds. 'We've also had to put her into an induced coma so that her body can rest whilst it heals and also because she did inhale a lot of smoke.' 

'Dr Karev, Dr Hunt and myself will be taking her into surgery now, so if you come with us, you can have a few minutes with her.' Meredith finishes. 'Follow us.' Lucas follows Meredith, Owen, Alex and Jo to the trauma room whilst Ryan, Sullivan and Vic hold back. Lucas stands in the doorway of the trauma room. His eyes, fill with tears seeing how fragile and injured his daughter looks. He walks into the room and to beside the bed. He takes Charlotte's hand and strokes the top of her head. 

'It's going to be okay, Charlie,' He whispers, 'we're going to be right here when you wake up.' He kisses the top of her head and steps back. 

'We're not sure how long surgery will be so a nurse will take you to our family room where you can wait and I'll make sure someone gives you regular updates.' Meredith informs him. 

'Thank you.' Lucas nods appreciatively as the theatre team walk into the room and start preparing Charlotte for transport. Lucas walks out of the room and re-joins Vic, Sullivan and Ryan. 'A nurse will take us up to the family room so we can wait there.' 

'Have you called Jason yet?' Vic asks her boyfriend and he shakes his head. 

'Don't worry about that.' Ryan says. 'I'll call him and then go pick him up and bring him here.' 

'Are you sure?' Lucas asks him. 

'Yeah.' Ryan nods. 'I can blue light there and back.'

'Thanks.' Lucas smiles slightly.

'Of course.' Ryan nods before walking off. A couple of moments later, a nurse approaches Lucas. 

'Mr Ripley?' The nurse asks. 

'Yes.' Lucas nods.

'Dr Grey asked me to take you up to the family room.' The nurse tells him. 'If you'd like to follow me.' Lucas, Vic and Sullivan follow the nurse up to the family room. When they reach the family room, they see that there is a group of coaches, some chairs and a table, a vending machine, a kitchenette, a bookshelf alongside a TV and a games console with some games. 'You can help yourself to anything in the cupboards and fridge.' The nurse says as she points to the kitchenette. 'The restroom is just down the hall. I'll be in every hour or so to update you on how surgery is going.' She then leaves, closing the door behind her. 

.

Half an hour later, Ryan and Jason arrive at the hospital and walk into the family room. 

'How is she?' Jason asks Lucas.