Prologue

Lucas Ripley and Victoria "Vic" Hughes have been dating for just over six months. As Lucas is the fire chief of the Seattle Fire Department and Vic is just an ordinary firefighter at Station 19, they have to keep their relationship on the down-low due to it being against the rules. Despite this, Travis Montgomery, Luitenant Jack Gibson and Captain Robert Sullivan have figured it out - all agreeing to keep the secret. Even though Vic and Lucas have been together for over half a year, there are still some things that they don't know about each other, things that can make or break a relationship. Lucas holds the biggest secret of them all - how will Vic react?

.

Vic walks into the kitchen/dining area at Station 19 with a spring in her step. Travis, who is stood at the kitchen counter, grins. 

'Morning.' Vic chirps, looking at everyone sat at the table.

'Someone's happy for a Monday morning.' Andrea "Andy" Herrera laughs. 

'Positivity, Herrera, positivity.' Vic states as she pours herself a mug of coffee.

'Okay.' Maya sighs. 'What's his name?'

'I don't know what you mean.' Vic shrugs acting innocent. 'I'm going to go and make a start on inventory.' 

'I'll come and help.' Travis says. Both firefighters make their way to the barn to make a start on inventory. Travis looks around and makes sure that no-one is around to listen to what they're about to talk about. Once he's sure that the coast is clear, he nudges Vic. 'So, what's got you so happy?' 

'Lucas and I started talking about kids.' Vic smiles.

'Seriously?' Travis raises an eyebrow. 'You guys have only just started talking about getting married.' He adds, laughing. 'Does Ripley want kids?' 

'Yeah.' Vic nods. 'I mean, he seemed enthusiastic enough.' 

'What do you mean by that?' Travis asks. 

'I don't know.' Vic shakes his head. 'When I mentioned kids, something just changed, I could see it in his eyes but I could also see that he does want kids.'

'Well, did you ask him?' Travis queries. Vic keeps silent. 'Vic!' 

'I didn't have time to! Okay! We're going to talk more about it at breakfast tomorrow.' Vic tells him. 'I promise.' 

.

It's lunchtime. Everyone is sat at the table eating lunch when the bells go off. 

Aid car 19. Pedestrian versus auto. Corner of John Street and Broad Street. 

Travis and Maya jump up from their seats run down to the aid car, get in and make their way to the scene of the accident. 

.

When they arrive at the scene of the accident, they see that the police already have the scene cornered off. Travis parks the aid car before they jump out and put their gloves on. As they're getting the gurney, backboard, defibrillator and jump bags out of the aid car, Officer Ryan Tanner walks up to them. 

'Patient is seventeen.' He informs them. 'According to witnesses, a car mounted the sidewalk and she couldn't get out of the way in time. The car crashed into the tree but the driver took off. Girl's name is Charlotte Granger but she says that she prefers to be called Charlie.'

'Thanks, Ryan.' Travis nods. They all walk over to where Charlotte is. She's lying flat on her back with a police officer keeping her head stable. Both Travis and Maya kneel down beside her. 

'Hi, Charlie.' Travis smiles. 'I'm Travis, this is Maya.' 

'Hi.' Charlotte smiles weakly. 'Is all this really necessary?' 

'Well, you've just been hit by a car so I'd say yes, it is.' Maya nods. 

'I'm fine.' Charlotte assures them. 'It's probably just a few bumps and bruises.' 

'We still have to check you over, Charlie.' Maya tells her. 

'Can you tell me where you feel any pain.' Travis asks as he starts the physical examination. 

'No-where.' Charlotte states. Travis continues the physical exam. As soon as he presses onto her abdomen, she winces in pain.

'You feel pain there?' Travis asks. 

'Only when you press onto it.' Charlotte replies. 

'Do you mind if we take a look?' Maya queries.

'Yeah.' Charlotte consents. Travis slowly raises her top and sees a scar. When there are a few moments of silence, Charlotte sighs. 'You're looking at my scar, aren't you?'

'How'd you get it?' Travis questions. 

'I have endometriosis, a couple of months ago, I had a laparoscopy to remove some tissue because it was getting too painful but there were some complications so they had to change to open surgery.' Charlotte explains. 

'Can you tell if the pain is related to your endometriosis?' Maya questions. 

'It's not. It's a different kind of pain.' Charlotte tells them. 

'Okay, then.' Travis nods. 'What we'll do then is we will get you immobilised and onto the gurney, into the aid car and then we'll do the rest of our checks there to give you some privacy. Once we've done our checks, we will take you to Grey-Sloan. Is that where you had your surgery?' 

'Yeah.' Charlotte responds. 'The surgeon was Doctor Carina DeLuca.' 

'We'll get her to meet us in the ED.' Maya states. 'They'll call your mom and dad there.' 

'I wouldn't bother calling my mom, she's out of state.' Charlotte says. 'I'm staying with a friend. As for my dad, I'm not that close with him so I'd rather if you didn't call him.' 

'We have to notify him since you're a minor.' Travis raises an eyebrow. 

'It'd be easier if you guys did that then.' Charlotte sighs. Travis and Maya look at each other with confusion then back at the young girl.

'Why?' Maya asks. 

'My dad's your fire chief. Lucas Ripley.' 

~~

New story alert! Let me know what you think!

Much love