I wanted you to be better

Happy runs through the ruins on the beach, pieces of plane and fire and boxes thrown all around him. His heart is pounding in his ears and his breath catches at the sight. There's shield agents buzzing around him, working without him having to give a single order. He can't focus on them, eyes zeroing in on the red and blue mess lying motionless in the sand. Face down, matted hair moving with the silent wind, he looks nothing like the kid he's secretly so fond of.

Oh my God.

#

Pepper runs into her and Tony's bedroom at the compound, she's not sure what happened, but the loud crash got her up from the couch faster than lightning.

Tony is standing in the middle of the room, his desk is flipped and all his little projects is carelessly lying all around him.

He's gripping his hair and heaving for air, eyes flickering around in a frantic pace, and Pepper just knows. Something has happened. Something so bad that even Tony Stark doesn't know what to do.

He doesn't acknowledge her, and when she screams at him, there's no indication he's even heard her. She tries to grab his shoulder, ground him. Get him back to the reality, but he just shrugs her off, mumbling something about a plane crash and a kid and runs out of the room.

Before she's even able to piece the words together she can see the iron man suit taking off outside the window.

#

May had been worried for a while, that her nephew was maybe getting into the wrong crowd or something, even though he's always been this sweet, innocent little boy.

She didn't understand all the sneaking around, skipping classes and secrets he suddenly felt the need to keep from her.

They had always been close, and after her husband died they had only gotten closer. They were all each other had. So she didn't understand.

She doesn't understand much more when Tony Stark shows up at her door for the second time in less than six months. But this time he looks like a wreck. His pristine suit is wrinkled, and the trademark sunglasses don't do anything to hide his red brimmed, puffy eyes.

She doesn't hear what he's saying, everything around her reduced to white noise. She doesn't really need to. That look she understands. It's the same one the police officers wore when they came knocking on the door not even a year ago, with her nephew, shaking and bloody and traumatized behind them.