13 September, 1990 - Made It

Start from the beginning

"Ah," Lavinia murmured, glancing around at the nearly empty room. It hardly seemed like anything would happen in the next ten minutes but... protocol was protocol and she had spent enough time in this ward to know that just because it was quiet now didn't mean no one would be brought in soon. "We can just have Heather keep the door open," she suggested after a moment. "It'll make the place smell a bit but... well, it's better than interrupting her entirely."

Robert shrugged conceding the point, and made for the side door behind which their stock of ingredients and several pewter cauldrons were stored in an incredibly cramped little space. "Meet me in my office," he called over his shoulder before opening the door and sticking his head in to talk to Heather.

Lavinia glanced at Elias, half hoping the man would have some sort of explanation for what the hell was going on. But Elias merely shrugged and stood so Lavinia followed suit, stacking her papers as neatly as she could without spending too much time on it and closing up her inkwell. She then crossed the room, weaving around beds in Elias's wake and trying to riddle out what this could possibly be about. Was she going to get in trouble for not being on top of the paperwork? Was there some issue with a patient they'd treated? Did Robert want to talk about the younger healers? The question reeled around in Lavinia's head even as she slid through the side door and took a seat next to Elias, glancing around.

Robert's office was not a place Lavinia, or anyone else really, spent much time in. It was small and stuffy and an absolute mess most of the time and the only reason anyone ever bothered with it was if they needed to conduct more official business. Since that didn't happen very often, even Robert rarely spent time in there, preferring the more open break room, which also had the perk of a coffee machine.

For now, however, Lavinia and Elias set themselves down in the two chairs on one side of the desk and waited for Robert to return, which he did only a few moments later. "Okay," he began, squeezing himself around a rather precarious looking stack of books and settling into the ancient looking chair across from Lavinia and Elias.

"I'm not sure if you've heard," he continued once he was seated, "But I am retiring at the end of this year."

Lavinia's mouth fell open in surprise. She most definitely had not heard this and the idea of it was somehow mildly terrifying. She'd never known the ward without Robert in it and running it but... but she supposed he had been here a very long time and she sometimes forgot that the man was aging. Even so, this felt somehow different from when Bertie had retired. Bertie had always been old. His retirement had felt... normal. And sure it had been a bit odd those first few weeks, but it had been expected. Robert... Robert somehow always seemed like the middle aged man she'd met on her first day. But of course, it had been many years since that day and... and his hair was grey now, his face more lined and Lavinia supposed this too should have been expected.

"We'll miss you," she murmured, trying to cover the slightly awkward pause that had followed Robert's announcement.

Robert smiled indulgently. "Thank you Lavinia," he replied, inclining his head slightly in acknowledgement of the sentiment. "I'm admittedly looking forward to having more time at home."

"Good," said Elias simply.

Lavinia blinked and sighed slightly, turning to her coworker with her eyebrows raised. She was sure Elias didn't mean to sound as... well as hostile as he had, but tact had never been one of Elias's defining characteristics. Seeming to catch the look Lavinia gave him, he amended, "You deserve it."

Lavinia sighed again and turned back to Robert, who was grinning with mild amusement at Elias's by now famously poor people skills that had just managed to turn a congratulations on retirement into something that sounded vaguely threatening.