"They've been betrothed for over how long now?" I questioned curiously. "How old is Dove?"

"She's twenty as of today, engaged for almost seven years."

I frowned at his confession. Usually, as soon as they turned eighteen, they were usually married right off the bat. "Why?"

"Our families could never find an agreement to make the marriage go through. Both our families wanted too much different things and we were working on an agreement in the meantime," he filled us in before chuckling. "Though, I have to say, it worked out for the best. To crush their families and make me capo dei capi would be the best thing that would come out of giving away my daughter. Not to mention, if I were to take over after Galileo passes, we can continue our alliance."

He looked at me eagerly for me to agree. There was no way I was going to alliance myself with the Italians. No, I wanted all of them beneath my fist and begging for mercy for what they did. I didn't give it away as I forced myself to smile. "We focus on the present now and we shall see."

"She will be a good wife, obedient and submissive," he continued, trying to get me to agree of a future alliance. It was funny how an hour ago, he was singing a different song about his daughter. "I know you and Galileo only have a business relationship, but we can actually make it something else. Make it so we're the most feared mafia group in the whole country, should you stay married to my daughter."

"I will assume that you'll tell Galileo of this exchange?" I inhaled, the taste of nicotine hitting my lungs as I ignored his nonsense. I had talked to Galileo a few times about my issues regarding the incident last week. He may not know what I will ask of the Genovese's family in order to appease my anger, but he allowed me to do whatever I thought was fair, except for killing them.

"Of course, everything that happens will have to be reported, especially one as big as an alliance with you," he chuckled as he finished pouring the wine and gently slide the glass across the table.

"Remember, this is a temporary alliance," Timor spat out, eyeing the glass suspiciously. Then he scowled with an unrelenting stare at Mateo. "I'm not drinking that."

"It's tradition to bind our families, during marriage. It's been done for decades," Mateo explained as he picked up the glass. "I assure you that it isn't poisoned, if that is your worry."

Timor goes quiet, as of waiting for my command. Without a word, I picked the wine glass up and he does the same. I watched Mateo and his second in comment pick it up as we raised it. I tried to hide my disgust behind a façade smile. "To breaking traditions with a marriage between an Italian princess with a Russian King. To hell with those who'll defy our choices. To a stronger tomorrow."

"To a stronger tomorrow," Mateo repeated with a laugh and we everyone downed the wine except for me, who left a small sip left. As everyone slammed their glasses onto the table hard, Mateo realized that I have yet to finish. Just as he was about to point it out, I beat him to it.

"Bird," I called out, and Dove immediately snapped her head up at me in bewilderment. Everyone else looked at me, trying to comprehend what was happening. Though, I knew Timor knew. I looked at Mateo as I held up the small wine left in my glass. "I mean no disrespect from your tradition, though I have to abide with mine as well. You see, my tradition is a bit similar and different from yours. We drink as well, but the wife finishes it. It's a symbol of intimacy and commitment. Our first drink or meal will be shared with our other half before the marriage is to take place and after. We won't have a wedding, due to our contract that this would be for gains rather than on out of love. That doesn't mean we can't follow with our traditions, even if it's small."

She stayed still, not knowing what she should do as her eyes flickered between Mateo who had now craned his neck to look at his daughter. With a scowl, he slammed his hand onto the table. "Do you hear what he's saying, Dove? Do it."

I didn't make eye contact with Dove as she scrambled to be next to me, tension high in the air as I poured more wine into the glass. Then, I got up from my seat and held the glass in front of her. I knew she wouldn't understand anything I said in Russian, but it was something my father had done, and everyone else before that took in their wife. An old verse only two sentences long. I didn't think I would say it to an Italian, but we all had to sacrifice something to get what we wanted.

"I vow to protect and put your needs first," I whispered in Russian, as I tipped the wine till the rim touched her lips as she took a sip. It was a lie but didn't mean I wouldn't say it for tradition sake. Back when Mother was still alive, Father loved to whisper the two sentences to her like it was a prayer. To say it back brought back memories that I didn't want. Then, I took out the small black box in my pocket as I handed the glass to Timor. Pulling out a three-carat diamond ring with small rounded diamonds on the side. It was something Anastasia, the household leading maid and sister of my bodyguard picked up for me a week ago. I didn't bother to even look at it until now.

I took her hand, ignoring as she flinched harshly at my touch, even though I knew not to put any pressure on her wounded wrapped hands. Taking out the ring, I slipped it onto her left hand before taking the glass back from Timor to finish my vow in Russian.

"God Himself won't separate us, even in death, you're forever bonded to me; as with me," I finished as I took a large gulp and then repeated the step before. Dove must be in shock since she barely was able to swallow in time by the way I angled it into her lips as the wine slowly tripped down from her chin to her neck slowly. Pulling the glass away, I set it down. "With that, you are my Russian Queen. My wife. My other half."

My caged bird.

It was a lie because she would never earn the respect of the Russian families. Those in the estate knew about it but planned to not tell the other families yet. Not until everything is dealt with. Mateo clapped happily, his voice bringing me back to reality. "All we need now is for both of you to sign the marriage certificate and we can be family. My son."

I bit my tongue hard from lashing at him for calling me his son. I could tell Timor wanted to snap by the way he clenched his fists hard next to me, his jaws tightening. The Russians hated everything about the Italians, and to be related to them, was like a bullet to their face for what they did to our families.

But for the sake of revenge, we had to play it cool. He handed me a fountain pen which I took and signed my name over the certificate after I took a seat. Then, I handed the pen to Dove who took it and I could see her trying to control her shaking. She had been betrothed so long, she probably thought she was never going to marry at this point. She may have thought she could run away from this someday, yet here she was.

Everyone watched quietly as she gingerly took her pen from my hands. The smallest electricity ran from where the tip of her hands touched mine. It was the first time she touched me first, but it was unsettling the affect it had on me. I ignored whatever it was as I watched her write in small, cursive penmanship her name.

Just like that, the bird was taken from one golden cage, and shoved into another one.

Votes and Comments would be appreciative!

Next chapter coming out Next Friday!