vii. sweet sixteen

DO ME A FAVOUR!

THE CAR ride home was about as dreadful as i imagined. she kept wanting to talk about our relationship and i wanted to mute her. why did my dad have to pass away, life would've been so much better if we were all still together, he held us together.

she put the car in park, my door swinging open quickly. i ran to unlock the front door and immediately went straight into my bedroom, i couldn't get away sooner. with the click of my bedroom door's lock, i sighed and slid down the door. my mom wasn't my only problem; what was happening with felix and i? i know were kind of friends but it seemed like there was something more. like, there were feelings there. no no no, stop it bambi, you're going crazy, this is all in your head!

i looked to my phone with a message from camryn. call me asap!!!

i pressed the call button, it rung a couple of times before she picked it up. "bambi!" she said, anxiousness in her tone.

"what's up?" i said, now sliding to the floor from my door.

"are you going to victor's party tonight? you need to!" she said, interrupting before i could even answer her question.

"i wasn't planning on it. why do i need to go?" i asked. please tell me it's not what i think it is.

"you need to talk to felix, bamb. i think there's something the matter with him. he came back to english after talking to you, looking very upset." she said. why am i so concerned now, felix is my friend, only my friend. i shouldn't of felt my chest tighten and my stomach drop but here we are.

"okay, i'll come. when does it start?" i asked her.

"5:30. start getting ready and i'll pick you up." camryn said, with a smile on her face. i could tell through the phone she was smiling, it was easy to know her facial expressions. she hung up her phone as i looked at my call log. i saw his name and threw my phone onto my bed. get a grip, bambi.

I SMOOTHED out the mom jeans i decided on, giving myself a final look in the mirror. my black cropped tank hugged my chest as my brown hair fell just above my shoulders.

"lipgloss!" i exclaimed, going to my vanity, grabbing a clear gloss, perfect.

i ran towards the door, avoiding my mom just by a matter of seconds. i saw camryn's car parked in the driveway and leaped off the front porch and to her car door i went. her face lit up as i closed the door.

"you look gorgeous, ma'am!" she said joyously. she applauded my choice of fashion and began to pull us out of the driveway.

"is felix alright?" i found myself asking her.

"other than his sulking, i'm not sure. but you need to talk to him, do whatever it takes. if not, he's going to keep chasing after lake and we don't need that happening." she said, looking to the road ahead. "we're not that far from victor's house."

"okay," i said, looking out the window. i wasn't so sure why my anxiety was going through the roof. it's just a birthday party, i've been to them millions of times. maybe it's just my subconscious getting the better of me.

WE WERE now walking up the stairs to the apartment building. i know this is the same building where felix lives, which made me feel almost guilty. it took a little while, maybe over a minute and we were standing in front of victor's apartment. i raised my hand to knock on the door when it swung open, an older man, i assume to be victor's father. he gestured his arm out, letting us into his house.

the dining room was decorated with a banner, lots of chattering happening in the living room, a television blasting a soccer game; basically what you'd expect for a normal birthday party, at least in creekwood.

"hey guys, thanks for coming." victor flashed us a smile. "right now, it's only mia and i, felix and lake went to get another tres leches cake." he was soon cut off by a knocking on the front door. "hold that thought." he pushed past camryn and i, as well as his father to open the door. it was benji and what i assumed to be benji's boyfriend. benji waved at camryn and i, as i gave a friendly smile to him. god, i wish felix was here. what were him and lake doing that took so long to get a cake?

"i know that face." camryn said to me, raising her eyebrows. she gasped, slapping me on my arm. "you're thinking about him." she said with wide eyes.

"no i'm not." i began to laugh nervously, trying to avoid the conversation. "wow, look at this.. cup!" i grabbed a red, plastic cup, ignoring camryn.

"you can't ignore it forever, you like him." she crossed her arms, smirking at me.

"sorry, what'd you say? i gotta go to the bathroom!" i walked quickly away from her as she rolled her eyes. i walked to the end of the hall, opening the door quietly, walking into the room backwards. as i closed the door behind me, i realized i hadn't been in a bathroom.

"can i help you?" a teenage girl said, as i jumped at the sound of her voice.

"jesus!" i held my hand against my racing heart. "sorry, i thought this was the bathroom." i laughed it off a bit.

"yeah, definitely not the bathroom." the girl rolled her eyes.

"why so upset?" i asked her.

"my ex boyfriend broke up with me for another girl. i'm sure you've never felt that before.." she let out a breathy laugh.

"believe me," i said, going to sit on her bed. "i've had my fair share of awful guys. they suck anyways, we just have to bring their self esteem up." i smiled at her. "i'm bambi, by the way." i greeted her.

"pilar. you're probably friends with my brother and his dorky friend." she said bluntly. i could tell she was joking about felix.

"yeah, felix is a dork." i chuckled.

"did my mom send you in here? tell her i'm not leaving!" she raised her voice.

"don't worry, i'm not going to rat you out." i laughed. it was faded away with silence. she didn't reply back to me, just look away from me. i could tell she wanted to be left alone. i waved her a goodbye before leaving her dark room. i was back to reality when i saw lake and felix run in with the cake. here we go. i waved to felix as he gave a look to lake before meeting me down the hall.

"hey, you showed up." he said, grinning from ear to ear. was he happy to see me or something? "you'll never believe what happened when lake and i went to get the cake. we had this moment together where we were just able to be together and be in this moment together. i think she might actually like me." he continued to smile, as if he were on cloud nine.

and that's when it hit me, i knew why i defended him, cared what people said about him, cared about him and i being friends and not fighting. we aren't just friends, at least in my mind.

"that great, felix.." i said, lying straight through my teeth. i knew if i told him, he would freak, tell everybody and most of all, go back to hating me. he kept smiling, glancing at lake then back to me. i couldn't be here any longer, i needed a way out.

"i-i gotta go." i began towards the door. his expression changed to worry, as he was latching onto me, trying to stop me from leaving. my vision started to get blurry, not realizing i had started to cry. i twisted the doorknob, running out at lightning speed, going towards the stairs at the entrance. he didn't follow me out, nobody did. and with the realization that i couldn't go back without looking mental, i began to walk home, truly hating myself.

author's note!

i have a serious addiction to among us but it's okay 🤩🤩🤩