25 | E + M

Emmanuelle

I walked into the room with my head high, carrying a plate with food in one hand and his drink in the other. I did not knock, because that would give him the chance to yell for me to go away. I also ignored the stupid sign that was hanging on the door.

He quickly tried to sit up at the sound of the door swinging open, but due to his injuries 'quickly' was not half as fast as 'slowly'.

"Why are you in here?"

I ignored any and every voice around me, solely focusing on the one in my head.

With every step I took in his direction, the fear in me increased. This had nothing to do with the attraction that I felt towards him, which I was trying hard to conceal by the way— No. This had to do with actual fear.

Breathing became uneasy and my sweaty hands were holding onto the plate and glass as tightly as possible. I stopped about a meter away from where he was positioned on the bed. Parting my lips, I could feel the dry state that they were in.

"I'm leaving this on your nightstand, then you don't need to call the others when you're hungry." I spoke in the slowest pace that I could speak in.

Bending forward, I placed the food and drink in the center of the nightstand. I had expected him to fight me on this or at least say something, but to my surprise he was quiet. At first I thought that he was ignoring me but then when I was about to walk away...

"I'm sorry."

When the unexpected words left his mouth I halted in my tracks. With my lips pressed together I turned around, facing the man that had caused me more pain than I would ever admit.

"I'm not saying it again." He once again spoke up after giving me a few seconds of being in denial and confusion of what he had said. I had just been staring at the man as though he was an exotic animal at a zoo.

"What?" I snapped out of my thoughts.

He let out a sigh, one that seemed either out of frustration or annoyance. "Listen—"He wet his lips, his eyes now looking into mine. "I said I'm sorry about the pillow thing."

I gulped. "Okay." I nodded.

"Before you go— can you get that for me?"

His eyes pointed me into the direction of the remains of his phone, its screen was almost completely shattered and I knew that he would most likely not be able to use it again. Still, I handed it to him to let him see for himself. With another sigh he bowed his head down, still holding onto the phone that refused to turn on.

"Do you want to borrow mine?" I asked, shocking myself with the question that slipped my tongue.

A small smile appeared on his face as he took in my features, which were affected by shock.

He shook his head, still holding onto the half smile. "No, that's okay. Don't worry about it." He stated in a gentle voice before his eyes showed me to the door.

I simply nodded and then went my way. When I opened the door, I was immediately spooked by familiar faces that I was not quite expecting to see.

"Christ." I almost jumped against the door. "What?" I asked, seeing Marissa and Tia looking at me in question though they did not ask any.

Marissa started signing with her hands, whilst I kept waiting for her to use her words.

"And?" She finally spoke up after none of the movements managed to get the confused look I was giving her to disappear from my face.