22 | E

Emmanuelle

The first few days after Dimitri came home went by exceptionally slow. Every second felt like it had tripled. Just like at the hospital we divided our duties which consisted of bringing him his food and attending to his several needs. Tia took it upon herself to do most of it, because she did not want to keep the others from their other duties.

The worst part was the complaining. Nothing and no one seemed good enough for him. We tried to be patient with him because we knew that he was stressed out from being restrained from doing what he wanted, but that did not make it any easier for us.

The night he came home he refused to be washed with a washcloth and demanded a shower. He could not even sit up and only half of his body could actually be showered if he were to use the shower. After going back and forth with Marco he finally agreed to the washcloth. Tia and Marissa had decided to help him freshen up but he also had a problem with this.

He kept going on about how inappropriate it would be for them to see him naked. At this point Marco was far too furious about his childish behavior to help him which is why he did not freshen up and went to sleep in his hospital gown that night.

He ate his meal and then basically shooed everyone out. The only person he actually wanted by his side seemed to have disappeared from the face of the earth. It was truly heartbreaking to hear that all he asked about was Gia.

I could see Marco slowly losing it. With Dimitri being in that condition everyone turned to him. He had to fill in for him at work, attend to everything else that was previously Dimitri's concern and then he had to come home to this drama as well.

"Maybe we should try Gia again." Marissa mumbled under her breath.

It had been five extremely long and exhausting days since Dimitri had been home.

"She knows where to find him. Don't you think that she would be here if she wanted to help." Marco stated more than asked whilst he drowned himself in wine. "We have done everything we can to reach her. I'm not going to beg her to come look after the person that she's in a relationship with."

"We can't keep doing this. We have our other jobs as well." Anthony stated.

I kept quiet, feeling like it was not my place to comment. I also did not have it as bad as they did. I had not once gone to his room to help him and no one asked me to do so, because everyone knew that I was not his favorite person in the world.

"What about a nurse?"

"No- we are his family. We will look after him." Tia scolded Marco who huffed in annoyance.

"It's not that we don't want to help him, but he's being an asshole. We feel this too, but he's acting like he's the only one going through this." Marissa chocked out, her eyes filling with tears.

Anthony pulled her towards him, telling her that she should not take Dimitri's scolding to the heart. I had never seen her so defeated. She acted like it did not mean anything when she first told us about it, but everyone has a breaking point. Even those as tough as my sister.

"Don't worry about him, I'll take care of it." Said Tia as she stood up, disappearing into the kitchen.

The woman wanted to do it all, partly because she saw how tired the others were. But she was tired too. She was the one that woke up in the middle of the night when Dimitri needed something. She would even help him to shift his laying position which meant that she had to help him move. This required strength which the woman was lacking.

I decided to help her prepare diner and followed her into the kitchen. Half and hour later we were done and whilst I went to call the others to the dinning table she went to bring Dimitri his plate.