24 | M + E

Mattia

"Here," Tia pulled the comforter higher up to cover my arms. "You have a few more days before it's been a month. Doctor said that after that you can start to move around a little." She gave me a small smile, her eyes full of hope.

"Uhhum." I nodded, as though I had no voice.

I knew that Tia was trying to make me feel better, but her 'few days' were actually almost two weeks. I still had almost two weeks to go before I could start to move around.

Two days had passed since I had last seen Nuelle. Did I feel bad about the way things went between us? yes. Did I care? yes. Was I going to admit that? I was contemplating it.

"How's Nuelle?"

Surprised by my sudden question, Tia looked up at me with a frown before she answered me. "She's— she is doing okay. She just tried to help, you know?" She questioned rhetorically.

I gulped as I leaned back down into the pillow, my eyes automatically closing. I never meant to be a complete asshole to everyone around me, but seeing their pain only made me feel worse about myself and the fact that I constantly needed someone around me to be able to do the simplest things did not help either.

"I'll let you rest, yes?"

With my eyes still closed, I nodded. I only opened them when I heard the door shut. Pulling the covers back down, I reached for my phone. Endless notifications of text from employees, associates I had not spoken too in the last decade and long lost family members filled my screen. I quickly scrolled down, hoping to see at least one of the person I hoped would contact me, but— none.
No messages from Gia.

Was this payback for all the times I had done her wrong? Was I so horrible to look at that she would not even come to see me? Or was it because I could no longer walk?

Sadness and anger coursed through me and within a blink of an eye my phone went flying across the room, crashing into the wall.

The door was pushed open, revealing Marco behind whom Tia was standing. They took one look at the phone that was no longer in one piece and then they looked at me.

There it was. The look of pity and worry. They pitied me. Me?

                               //—//

Emmanuelle

I had just made my way into the kitchen when a 'bang' came from Dimitri's room. I halted on the spot and soon after I was joined by Marco and Tia.

"I'll deal with it." Marco groaned.

"I'll come with you." Tia said, though she started walking before he did.

I leaned back against the wall, just a few meters away from the door. The last thing I wanted was for Dimitri to see me, but curiosity got to the best of me. I quietly watched as they entered the room before I moved closer to it, still keeping myself out of their sight.

"The fuck is wrong with you?" Marco growled.

"Marco—"

"GET. OUT." Dimitri screamed and interrupted Tia.

"You need to get your shit together and stop acting like a fucking child. CAN YOU DO THAT?"

I could hear Tia's soft voice, trying to talk Marco out of going ballistic. But, it was far too late for that.

"We are doing all that we can to help you, but all you do is try to make it more difficult and I've had it. You don't want to eat? Fine by me, starve then. You don't want to go to the doctor? Cool, stay in this damn bed for eternity."