I leaned up onto my tip toes, stretching myself as high as I possibly could, his 6'5" frame not helping this exchange. Just before our lips could touch, a familiar voice cut through the crowd.

"Beach girl!" Eli shouted, and I sank back down onto the sand, searching for him immediately. He swayed toward me, pulling Denise quickly by the hand. He was so obviously drunk it worried me. The Eli I knew could have a good time, but always knew his limit. He was a bit of a control freak in that way.

"Hello, Eli." I replied coolly, allowing him to pull me into his arms and crush me to him. "Denise..." I acknowledged as I pulled back, and grabbed for Connor's hand again.

"Avery." She nodded once and clutched onto Eli like he was the last life preserver on the titanic. He barely noticed from the way he was openly glaring at Connor.

"Nice to see you, Collin." Eli smirked and Connor chuckled, not even bothering to correct him.

"Yeah, you too man."

"You guys wanna go and sit?" Eli asked, pointing to a scattering of white chairs set out on the beach. Denise looked at them as if they were the last thing she would want to sit on, but Eli ignored her and pulled her toward them, slumping down on one while she climbed directly onto his lap.

I stood for a few moments, not wanting to make a scene, but also not wanting to stick around to watch Eli and Denise perform a drunken grope fest.

"You know what? I think Connor and I should just head back." I set my still full glass of wine down on the armrest of the chair.

"What?" Eli asked. "You just got here."

"Yeah. I'm just tired." I admitted. "I'm sorry Connor, do you mind walking me home?" He nodded, unbothered by the turn of events and offered me his hand.

"Have a good time." I said waving at Eli, but I couldn't look him in the eye.

**********

I ended up bidding Connor ado without a parting kiss. I hugged him tightly, and thanked him for a lovely evening, before I collapsed into my bed. I made shapes out of the patterns on my ceiling until at least three A.M. My restless mind alternated between the kiss Eli and I had shared, and what him and Denise had been up to since I left. I was sure it was a clothing optional bout of cardio. Or two.

My phone buzzed and lit up my dark room. I rolled onto my side and unlocked the screen to find Eli calling. I ignored it and shoved it beneath my pillow, where it started buzzing again.

"What do you want?" I hissed.

"Open your window."

"What?" I asked even though I was already on my feet.

"Open. Your. Window." He repeated and he sounded more sober than earlier.

I pried my window open slowly, inches at a time, listening for my dad or Collins in the hallway. When the house continued to sit silently, I opened it the rest of the way. Eli was already up the trellis and waiting just outside.

"What're you doing here?" I hissed as he climbed his legs through the window.

"Coming inside."