Chapter 18: Consequences

Steve parked his car in front of the house. The drive home was faster than what I had expected. Our wholesome conversation throughout the drive felt short.

"It feels so weird, coming back here. It has been so long." Steve sighed. Both of us looked at the old stone house where we had shared innumerable days together, many years ago.

"Come in?" I asked, with a reassuring smile.

"What?" Steve looked like he was taken aback for a moment. He stared at me in confusion and I insisted him to join me.

"Dad will be happy to meet you, Stevie."

"I love that name." Steve chuckled.

"Stevie." I smirked.

"I am actually eager to meet the love of your life." He smirked back at me and I could feel my cheeks turn red, again. 

"Shut up." I said and then continued, "Don't flirt with him, okay?" He laughed and I joined him.

As we stepped out of the car, Steve pulled me by my arm and whispered in my ears, "Don't mention my relationship with David to your father. I have not even told my own parents about it. They still think that we are just roommates." I nodded my head in affirmation and squeezed his hand to reassure him. To my surprise, the front door was not locked when both of us entered.

"You are late, Scarlett." I heard Dad say as he walked out of the kitchen. He paused on his way as soon as he noticed Steve.

"Steve, you are here! It is so good to see you son." He beamed and gave Steve a pat on the back.

"Likewise, Mr. Parker. It is almost overwhelming to come back over here. Nothing has changed, I see." Steve smiled politely and looked around the room.

"I will always be uncle Henry for you." Dad smiled back. The moment brought a curve on my lips.

My eyes found Mark who stood next to the sofa. I noticed for the first time that his eyes were unreadable and his expression was blank. He looked at me but he had nothing to tell. I wondered what he thought at the moment. I raised an eyebrow at him but he broke our gaze.

"This must be Mark." Steve turned towards Mark and offered his hand.

"Yes, hello. It is nice to meet you." Mark reached out for his hand and let out a kind smile. But I was certain of the artificiality of his smile. It was unlike him. The Mark that I knew was a genuine person. The sudden change in his persona bothered me. It confused me. 

"Stay for dinner, Steve." Dad interrupted the awkward greet between Steve and Mark.

"Oh no, I don't want to interrupt." Steve was as humble as ever.

"Don't be silly, it will be no interruption at all." I held his hand. "Mark, say something..." I looked at Mark in anticipation.

"Of course, please say." Mark pursed his lips. He said it as if he did not mean it at all.

"Okay, if you insist." Steve finally agreed and I grinned.

"Holy fuck." Mark muttered under his breath and walked up through the stairs. I was the only one who heard him. The sudden change in his behaviour startled me.

"Where is he going? Food is ready" Dad asked.

"Already? That is impressive uncle Henry." Steve said.

"Mark helped me out a lot. He is an excellent young man I am telling you, Scarlett." Dad said and walked back to the kitchen.

"He is an excellent young man I am telling you, Scarlett." Steve repeated with a sheepish grin and I laughed.