Chapter 7: The plan

"No fucking way, Scar." Mark shook his head in disagreement after I told him about my plan. It was on the next day, a hot Monday afternoon when the sun was brighter than usual. I was at the Raymonds' when Smith and Rose were out for work. Jack was in his room and kept himself occupied with video games. He had skipped school that day and pretended to be sick. Mark and I sat in front of the dining table where I narrated my conversation with my father over the phone on the previous night. I spoke in a hushed voice as I did not want Jack to eavesdrop into our conversation or know about what my plan was.

"Why not? I will pay you back, of course. I will ask Chris for the money. I am sure that he will not mind." I tried to convince Mark to book flight tickets for me over the internet because I was still unaccustomed to many things that involved technology. My plan was simple. I had planned to run off to the airport when Mum would leave the apartment to pick Derek from his school. I would board a flight to Palm Fields and ask Dad to pick me up from the airport there. I would then call Mum and inform her that I was safe at Palm Fields with Dad and that I would return in a few days.

"Well first of all, you cannot use Chris like that..." Mark began.

"I'm not using him." I defended myself. But I knew at the back of my mind that I was taking advantage of the fact that Chris never said 'no' to me, unlike Mum. I did not know if it was a matter of sympathy for my lost childhood or merely out of compassion but Chris had always been supportive about everything.

"Let me finish. It's not about the money. I care about your safety, Scar. The farthest you have gone all by yourself is probably the park across the road, no offence." Mark said. A tone of frustration was clear in his voice. "And about whatever your Dad told you...don't you think that it is a little bit sketchy and sudden? And moreover, why would your Mum hide something as serious as this?"

"Mark, believe me when I say this, I agree with you...completely. But I was the one on the call last night, I heard his voice. I don't know if it was the truth, maybe it was not. All I know is that I will regret it for the rest of my life if it was really the truth. I don't want to doubt him. After all, family is always about unconditional love" My voice quivered. I did not want to think of the possibility that my father would soon die, but if he was really as ill as he claimed to be, I had to meet him one last time.

"I can't take the responsibility of being the person who helped you run away from your home." He sighed and stared at a single spot on the table.

"I have another plan." I clapped my hands in an attempt to be dramatic about my fantastic new plan that involved Mark himself. Of course, I had a Plan B.

"You said that a few minutes ago and it was a terrible idea." Mark rolled his eyes and crossed his arms as he spoke.

"But this one is amazing, trust me. You told me the other day that you want true inspiration, right?" I waited in anticipation but continued when he did not reply, "Come with me. Palm Fields will give you lots of opportunity for that. That way, I won't have to travel alone and you will get to work on your music." Mark raised an eyebrow when I told him. He looked puzzled but I was glad that he did not discard the idea immediately.

"Come on, it's a win-win situation. It will work well for both of us." I looked at him with pleading eyes and tried to make an adorable puppy face. It always worked with Dad but never with Mum.

"You won't give up, will you?" I saw a smile play at the corner of his lips. He failed to pretend to look serious.

"Never." I bit my lip to prevent laughter.

"That is one thing I like about you, Scar." He inched closer to me as he spoke and I wondered if it was only in my head. Why did he move closer to me when he said that?