Chapter 6: More than friends

"I can't believe that you have hung the t-shirt on the wall." Mark laughed as he closely examined the Enrique Iglesias autographed t-shirt that he had given to me a few months ago when we first met.  

Mark and I often sent texts to each other but recently we had begun to talk over the phone. But that day was different. It was a Sunday evening and nobody was home. Mum and Chris were out for a business dinner and Derek had a sleepover with his school friends. Mum and Chris thought that it was for the best if I wasn't left alone at home. But I was glad when they let Mark come over instead of hiring a babysitter for a twenty year old. Mum's possessiveness often felt suffocating.

"Don't laugh." I rolled my eyes and spoke, "He is the best." My emphasis on th word 'best' was as clear as I wanted it to be.

"His songs are sappy." He blurted out with a serious face. He stifled his laughter and I wondered how did he not like songs by Enrique Iglesias.

"Oh, you mean romantic?" I tried to look cocky when I spoke to which Mark raised his eyebrow and smirked. I tried to suppress a smile as I sat on my bed.

"Scar seems to know a lot about romance" Mark smirked as he sat on the bed, very close to me.

"What did you just call me?" I almost shrieked. I was amused and began to laugh uncontrollably. 

"Cute." He argued with a grin. For a moment I wondered what he meant. Was I cute when I laughed or did he find that silly name cute?

"No, it's...terrible." I spoke in between my laughter. "Imagine telling people, "Hello! I'm Scar and I have a friend called Mark." Scar and Mark... Oh my God. No one would take me seriously." 

That made him laugh. He looked innocent when he laughed, almost like a child. His intense ocean blue eyes appeared brighter when he laughed and they sparkled like the most beautiful star in the night sky. It was almost as if he let his guards down for once and tried to live in the moment. There was slight wrinkle under both of his eyes when he laughed and a strand of his blonde curl bounced on his forehead as he tilted his head while he laughed. His curved pink lips revealed a perfect set of teeth. I watched him and my lips formed a smile on their own before I could realise. I smiled at his handsome face. 

"Oi. You zoom out a lot, you know that? I mean, I know I'm irresistible but..." He looked at me with a lazy grin and folded his hands. I suddenly realised how obvious it was that I stared at him. I felt my face turn red in embarrassment. I immediately looked away and muttered, "Don't be so full of yourself" which only made him laugh a little more. 

"Tell me about London." I tried to change the topic but I was also eager to know more about his life. I had seen London only in movies and wished to visit the city someday. My fascination with Dickens made it all the more interesting.

"London is great. It's cold there most of the time but if you ask, Christmas time in London is the best. It has been four years and I can never miss Christmas for anything in the world, ever." He told me.

"Favourite time of the year?" I asked and he nodded in affirmation.

"And what about your work?"

"Work is great as well but it can be a little hectic sometimes but you know, I'm looking for the right opportunity."

"That's great." I tried to encourage him to talk further.

"Yeah, it is. I know that I will have my chance, I'm just waiting for that chance to kick start my career into success. My friends are really supportive about it." The shine in his eyes revealed that he meant every word that he spoke. 

"Your friends are nice I believe ." I told him.

 "They are the best. I often hang out with my mates, we drink and party on the weekends. It's a lot of fun."