Say yes

(Read the notes at the bottom of the story)

            Amity walked into the apartment; she shared with her girlfriend Luz. Setting down her purse, she took off her shoes and abomination cowl, hanging it up on a hook. Two years ago, a witch rebellion occurred, ending with Emperor Bellows being kicked out of power, and a new emperor taking the throne.

            The new emperor kept the coven system but got rid of the one witch one coven rule, and the rule where are all your other magic is locked away upon joining one. Instead, new coven initiates receive a tattoo symbolizing their chosen coven. This allowed all witches to use mixed magic, except for those who joined a coven when Bellows was in power.

            Even though a benevolent ruler took the throne and being offered a spot in the new emperors' coven, Amity still couldn't accept it. Not after all the horrible things, cruel things Bellows and his coven did, so she joined the abomination coven instead. She worked hard and eventually made her way up to one of the senior positions in the coven. Luz got a job teaching glyphs at Hexside. After teaching Eda and Lilith, she decided that everybody should have a chance to learn the old way of doing spells, regardless of what track they're in.

"Honey, I'm home," Amity said.

"I'm in the kitchen," Luz replied.

            Amity walked into the kitchen and saw her girlfriend putting masa, meat, cheese, and veggies inside of corn husks and wrapping them. She gave Luz a kiss and poured herself a glass of apple blood, leaning against the counter. "How was work?"

"It was okay until somebody in my beginner class decided he was ready to mix glyphs and ended up almost blinding half the class. How was yours?"

"Some abominations gained sentience and got loose. One of them found a construction glyph and went rampaging through the town. So instead of having a nice day, inducting and giving the new inductees a tour, I chased a powered-up super abomination around town. Took me forever to get in under control." Amity took a long sip of her apple blood before letting out a sigh. "What are you making?"

            "Tamales. It's a Latin American dish from the human realm." Luz said, filling another corn husk.

Amity grabbed a corn husk and looked at it curiously, feeling the grainy texture on her fingers. "What are these?"

"There called corn husks. I had to go to the human realm to get them."

"Why don't you look for them on the isles?" Amity asked

"Believe me, I've looked multiple times, but I could never find them."

Luz spooned some of the meat mixture and put it in front of Amity's face. Amity smiled and let her girlfriend feed her as she thought it was adorable when she did that. The pork melted in her mouth as the flavors danced across her tongue. It was sweet and spicy, but she was surprised by how mild it was. Then she felt a kick in the back of the throat. Her girlfriend didn't make Latin American food that often, but when she did, Amity thought it was the best thing ever.

"Good?" Luz asked.

Amity nodded, letting out a small mmhhhh. She reached for another spoonful only for it to be smacked away, causing her to whine and rub her hand.

"I need the rest for dinner," Luz said.

Luz wrapped the last corn husk and placed it in a pot, closing the lid. After drawing a fire glyph, she tapped it and used the fire to light the stove before putting it out. She placed the pot over the stove and set the timer for forty minutes.