Chapter 13: The Truth Comes Out

May 8th, 2019

11:00 P.M. in Rome, Italy (2:00 P.M. in L.A.)

Camila

"You're really not going to go out?" Lauren asked, as expected.

"Baby, no one wants to deal with jet lag if we stay up." I explained.

Ah, jet lag. A side effect of traveling that I hated, yet loved so much, simply because it meant that I was off traveling in a foreign land. This time, the foreign land was none other than Rome, Italy. I was a full nine hours ahead of Lauren's time, which meant my clock was definitely out of wack.

Realistically, I could've stayed up for hours, not only because I'm part insomniac, but also because it felt like mid afternoon even though we were creeping up on midnight over here

Realistically, I could've stayed up for hours, not only because I'm part insomniac, but also because it felt like mid afternoon even though we were creeping up on midnight over here. And also realistically, I probably would stay up for hours; but did that mean that I was going to go out? Of course not. Not even 'when in Rome'. I had a few days to explore the city, and I wasn't going to burn myself out as soon as we got there.

"But it's not like you're there for that long. Being tired for a few days is worth it." Lauren pressed.

"I'd rather not be tired and fully enjoy the city." I argued.

"Well, to each their own."

"Thank you.", I grinned, "What are you doing with your Wednesday afternoon? Mine was spent on a boring plane so I want something juicy."

"Honestly, I'm not doing much until the concert tonight. Well, I might go grab a coffee with Keana soon, actually."

"I was wondering why you look even hotter than usual."

"Yup. Gotta impress Keana." she laughed.

"Well you've already impressed me, so you're off to a good start."

"You're cute."

"You're cute.", I giggled, "Have fun today, baby."

"I'd say you too but you're being lame and going to sleep." she teased.

I simply stuck my tongue out in response.

"Buonanotte, mi amore." Lauren said, blowing a kiss at me through the screen.

"Wow, you know Italian now?" I asked.

"That was my best guess."

"Well, it sounded right. Goodnight to you too, mi amor."

I smiled as Lauren blew me another kiss, and quickly returned the favor just before hanging up. Despite everything, Lauren and I were still going strong. Well, as strong as we could possibly be given the circumstances; and those circumstances were about to shift drastically.

This was my last public stunt with Matthew: a romantic trip to Rome, Italy together. A farewell trip of sorts, in which we would be photographed by paparazzi on every corner, if not at least at the airport when we landed back in L.A.. If only everyone knew that the second we got to the hotel, I let go of his hand and made my way to my private room with my mom. It really made me laugh that no one seemed to question my mom's presence anymore.