Chapter 14: A new Queen under the Mountain Part Two

Third Person POV:

It is night; at the blocked off entrance to the gate, a rope is suddenly thrown over the edge. Bilbo clambers hand-over-hand down the rope, slipping along the way. He manages to climb across the moat using some of the rubble. Once down he waits a few moments and another figure appears. She quickly climbs down. They begin running toward Dale.

Gandalf approaches Bard. "You, Bowman! Do you agree with this? Is gold so important to you? Would you buy it with the blood of dwarves?!"

As they speak, Bilbo and Flora sneak past some of the Laketown guards.

"It will not come to that. This is a fight they cannot win." Bard sighed.

Suddenly, Bilbo and Flora appear and Bilbo addresses both of them. "That won't stop them. You think the dwarves will surrender - They won't. They will fight to the death to defend their own."

"Bilbo and Flora Baggins!" Gandalf smiles. Bilbo smiles happily though Flora does not.

"We have come not to exchange niceties. I have something that you wanted." Flora stated, pulling the white gems of Lasgalen out of her pocket and putting them on the table in front of Thranduil.

"My gems." he exclaims, leaning forward, "How did you come by these?"

"I overheard Thorin say that he knew a Elf Lord that would pay a pretty price for them. I remembered your request when we were in Mirkwood." Flora explained, "That's not all of them of course, just what I could shove in my pocket without making it noticable."

There is a silence for a while, then Bilbo steps forward and puts a wrapped package on the table.

"I came...to give you this." He unwraps the package to reveal the Arkenstone.

Thranduil rises in surprise. "The heart of the mountain! The King's Jewel."

Gandalf and Bard approach to look at it in awe.

"And worth a king's ransom. How is this yours to give?" Bard asks.

"I took it as my fourteenth share of the treasure." Bilbo explained. Gandalf smiles slightly.

"Why would you do this? You owe us no loyalty." Bard questions.

"I'm not doing it for you. I know that dwarves can be obstinate and pigheaded and difficult, suspicious and secretive...with the worst manners you can possibly imagine, but they also brave and kind...and loyal to a fault. I've grown very fond of them, and I would save them if I can." Bilbo stated, "Thorin values this stone above all else. In exchange for its return, I believe he will give you what you are owed. There will be no need for war! And plus my daughter choose one as her mate and I will not let her be heartbroken if he dies in war."

Gandalf, Bard, and Thranduil look at each other.

Gandalf speaks first, "Flora my dear which one did you mate with?"

"Dwalin. I was not even looking to choose between them it just happened. But that does not mean that part of my heart does not belong to Thorin, because it does." Flora explained.

"I think you both should rest up tonight. You must leave on tomorrow." Gandalf said leading them through Dale.

"What?" Bilbo exclaimed.

"Get as far away from here as possible." Gandalg sighed.

"I'm-I'm not leaving. You picked me as the fourteenth man. I'm not about to leave the company now." Bilbo stuttered.