Chapter 19

Time seemed to freeze for the two of us as we looked each other. My heart beat sped up and the small light in my palm was almost mesmerizing. His anxious gaze met mine and finally I could see what I had been blind to all these years. He cared so much yet I turned him away every time. Every little compliment, every touch meant more than I thought. Guilt overwhelmed me and I turned to look at Jordan, a good friend yes but would our relationship really have lasted? "I'm sorry."

"It's fine. You had Jordan and I thought you were matched. It made it easier for me."

"But you always hoped that I wasn't matched with him so you had a chance." I said in realization.

"Yeah."

"Is anybody going to eat this food? Or can I start?" Penny asked loudly and I almost laughed, silently thanking her for breaking the awkward silence.

"Go ahead. Don't eat all the chips."

"So we're leaving now?" Noah asked awkwardly.

"Yep come on."

I looked at her as she left and we exchanged a smile of understanding. Jordan and Noah followed her and I could feel their stares on the back of my head. "Bye Tessa." He said sadly.

"Jordan wait!" I leaped up and ran to catch up with him. I grabbed his wrist and he spun around to face me. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault Tessa. It was decided since you were born."

"Still." I protested. "I can tell your upset."

"Of course I'm hurt!" He snapped. "Maybe it won't even matter in thirty year; maybe I won't even remember your name. But right now, in this very moment, it matters, and it freaking hurts- and I'm still trying to be okay with that." With that final blow he turned and left, leaving me feeling confused and hurt. I joined Cody once again and sighed. Why is life a roller coaster? I only bought a ticket for the Ferris wheel.

"You don't meet people by accident Tessa. You met Jordan and maybe you're not matched but there'll be another reason for your friendship."

"When did we all get so wise?"

"When did our life start being so difficult?"

"Since we grew up."

**

"So how are you doing?" Penny asked me as we drove off.

"I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be fine?"

"No reason. What did you and Cody do after we left?"

"Not much. He left a couple minutes after you."

"So nothing happened?"

I sighed. "No Penny, nothing happened. It's complicated."

"You're torn."

"Yeah. He's been my best friend forever so it's strange to think that he's my soul mate." I admitted.

"It must be what's best. That's why the whole system was devised remember?"

"I'm surprised you payed attention in class long enough to hear that."

She shot me an annoyed look before returning her focus to the road, pulling into the parking lot outside of a small shop. "There were too many divorces and unhappy relationships then so now they made it easier for us." She continued. "No more breakups, no more tears, it's supposedly the perfect system."

"It's not perfect. Life isn't perfect and it never will be."

"Well we can try."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Question of the Chapter

1. When are you guys doing your exams?

2. If you don't have exams then a) you're very lucky and b) What's something you're looking forward to?

Hugs
Erika