Chapter 3

"So, it's not far. Want to play a game?" Jordan asked once we were across the street.

"A game?"

"Yes a game. Do you want to play a game?"

"Uh sure?"

"Okay so would you rather have PE all day or Math all day?" Jordan asked. "That was a lame question but whatever."

"Math. Absolutely math." I responded quickly. "Would you rather have to write a 10 page essay in a day or have 4 pages of Math homework each day?"

He groaned. "I hate English."

I smiled wickedly. "I know."

"4 pages of Math I guess."

"Actually? I would've picked English."

"Yeah well you're weird." He teased. "Would you rather date someone you've known your whole life or someone that you just met?"

"If I've known someone my whole life then that would be kind of weird so someone I just met. Would you rather have 3 really good friends or 15 okay friends?"

"3 really good friends." He answered confidently. "There it is." He pointed down the street and sure enough Krista's Cafe was there, nestled in between a candy store and a small local produce store. "Come on." He grabbed my hand and pulled me across the road right before the light changed. He grinned at me and I rolled my eyes. "Sorry." He laughed, keeping my hand in his. "I didn't want to wait for the light to change." He pushed open the door for me and followed me in. "I haven't been here in a long time."

"It hasn't changed much." He said and walked up to the counter.

"What can I get for you two today?" The lady behind the counter asked Jordan.

"Tessa?"

"I'll have a mocha please." I told the lady behind the counter.

"The same for me." Jordan said.

"That'll be $6.85."

"Here." I tried to give Jordan some money but he shook his head and handed the lady a ten.

"There's no chance your paying." He informed me and took his change. "Come on, they'll bring it to our table."

"That's nice."

"Well they know me so if I ask them nicely I get better service."

"Oh so there's advantages to being a regular."

He winked at me and grinned. "Of course there is. Where do you want to sit?"

I looked around and found a small table for two with comfy looking chairs. "Over there?"

"Sounds good." He pulled out my chair for me when me reached it and sat across from me.

"I hate awkward silence." I remarked after a moment of quiet.

"So lets not be awkward. How was your day?"

"It was normal."

"Is normal good or bad?"

"It's normal." I shrugged and took my mocha from the barista with a smile. I held it in my hands and let it's glowing warmth spread throughout me. I took a sip and smiled. "That's good coffee."

"I know. But don't change the topic Tess."

"I wasn't changing the topic."

"Well you tried to."

"I don't know what normal is anymore Jordan. For me a normal day is walk to school alone, hang out with Cody and you then go to class and be bullied all day. That's my normal."