Dix

"Charles!" Angelica ran towards him despite the efforts to restrain her by Church. She didn't love Charles. She could never love anyone but Alexander. But Alexander was Eliza's. Angelica knelt and looked at him in the eyes. "Angelica."

"Charles. You'll live."

"Even if I die, I've lived."

"You'll have to live a little longer, I'll make sure."

"Face the truth, Angelica. I won't make it."

"You're going to live. You will." A tear fell down Angelica's cheek. She quickly restrained even more tears. The last thing Charles saw definitely couldn't be her tears. She held Charles in her lap, stroking his hair and trying to lie to him. Trying to tell him he'd be okay. Ten minutes or so passed.

"Angelica?" Charles asked, almost as if it was too hard for him to talk. 

"Yes?"

"Once I die, tell the General not to send the men who shot me home. The second would make a good replacement for me."

"I will. Shh, save your strength and stay alive."

"Thank you for seeing me off like this."

"Stay alive."

"Angelica..."

"Charles, you will live!"

"Angelica... I have my will tucked in my coat. Give it to the General."

"I will. Maybe a few decades later, because you cannot die now."

"Angelica..." He reached his arm up to touch her face. "You will be fine. You should not be bothered with me. I could not bear to see you cry."

"I will not cry. I'll keep your letters and I will always remember you."

"Then you should be okay without me... I will miss you. I'll see you on the other side."

And with that, his chest stopped rising and falling. Angelica didn't shed a tear. "I'll see you on the other side." She reluctantly handed his body over to the doctors after taking his will. She carefully tucked it inside her corset. 

She tried going back to John, but her curiosity could not be quelled. She had to know who killed Charles. So she took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and walked to Charles's murder. They were walking away, so she took long strides forward.

When she finally reached them, she tapped on the shoulder of the man who wasn't holding the gun. He was probably the second, so she decided he would be safer. When he didn't respond to her tapping, Angelica grabbed his shoulder and turned him around.

"Excuse me, what were you-... Alex?!"

"Angelica, I-"

"Would you please explain this to me?!"

"Angie, I can-"

"Don't bother. John is better than you."

"Who-"

She was gone before Alexander could finish.

--

Over the next couple of weeks, she received many apology letters from Alexander. She ignored them all, but she saved them all too, in a small shoebox under her bed.

Today was the day that Eliza was going to bring Alexander over for dinner. Angelica wasn't looking forward to it at all. It was just 15 minutes before he was supposed to come, and the table was being set. Angelica didn't bother to get dressed. She went downstairs and sat down normally. He wasn't special after all. He was just a murderer. In his last letter, he mentioned how it'd been a month, and he at least deserved a reply.