Chapter 4: Way Back Then

Across the street from the apartment complex of three-stories high, were other apartment complexes. These apartment complexes were each twenty stories high and each floor was two stories high (for the magical beings that can have some freeway when they want to fly around their rooms). The apartment buildings actually looked normal. There were four buildings; each of the structures had a small purple crescent moon on the side of the building to indicate that it is an apartment. The four apartments were in a square formation. The only thing on this side of the crossroads was apartment buildings.

A mini tulip flower garden, on the outside, to the left of the apartment perpendicular to the sidewalk, was full of red, orange, blue and purple tulips. Unlike any other country, Jez was a country where the flowers sing. The tulips however, could only sing to the beat of classical songs.  

As Margot and Kerri passed the garden, Margot stopped to listen. She was in a trance where she could only hear and see the tulips sing. For some odd reason, she knew the songs. She was taken aback at the extraordinary psychic level that the tulips possess. It was as if the tulips picked her to sing their songs with them.

The song that the tulips picked out next was a tune she heard plenty of times due to being a part of the Piano club in middle school. Canon in D Major. Margot let the song play a couple of seconds and right as she was about to sing Carter started to sing. Suddenly the song turned into a duet.

Margot almost missed her cue because she was admiring Carter, who had his eyes closed and was singing passionately. Margot chimed in and the harmony between the two was synchronized so well that people stopped to listen and enjoyed the sweet music pouring out of the tulips, Carter, and Margot.

At the end of the duet everyone started a slow clap and it escalated very quickly. People gathered around and started a collective hug. In the midst of all of the hugging, Margot became disoriented and fainted.

Margot felt her hands through the darkness and discovered the narrow tunnel was made of the rough stone surface. The tunnel connected to a room in the courtyard and the room of daughter of the Mayor. The Mayor’s daughter committed the crime of leaving the courtyard after midnight which is against the rules of the Main Kingdom. A fuchsia light at the end of the corridor shone brightly and Margot started to walk toward it. Suddenly something bumped into her. She smelt peppermint and immediately recognized that it was her best friend Kane.

“Ah ha. You are here to capture Jen also,” Margot asked.

“Sh,” Kane said panicked.

Kane covered Margot’s mouth with his hand and he gave her a nudge on the shoulder as something blocked the light for a split second.

Margot breathed a sigh of relief.

As Margot and Kane single-file walked towards the room Margot’s mind started to wonder. Why was Jen on both Kane’s and Margot’s list? Shouldn’t there be only one person to have Jen on the list? Margot knew that Kane was new and all but it didn’t have to mean that he would need another team member to help support him.

When Margot was at the end of the tunnel, in front of the sealed door, she saw that the room is in fact not empty. Jen was sitting on the other side in the back corner of the room. Fortunately it looked like she was the only one in there.

Margot picked at the lock on the door and stepped out.

Margot had to squints her eyes from the bright light.

“Who are you? Why are you here?” Jen asked backing against the corner of the wall, eyes wide open.

All of a sudden five army troops came bursting through the door to Jen’s room.

Margot stared at them wide open.

“Kane you are to remain with your hands above your head.”

Margot turned around and remembered that Kane was with her the whole entire time. Kane gave Margot a sad smile and walk towards the army troops.

“Why? What is going on,” Margot asked franticly.

“We have been trying to capture Kane for some time. We knew that he was a fake government official and that he will follow you wherever you are. He’s a shape-shifter. You know him as Chad Mike Ergo. He used to work with us and then as he was labeled on the list he fled the country. Chad possess a threat to the government and now it is time he faced his death,” the leader of the army troops replied.

Margot’s eyes busted out of their sockets at the news. Never had she had to face something like this.

Before Margot could blank out Kane whispered in her ear, “Get yourself and Kerri to Jez Island. A guy by the name of Michael will take care of everything.”

Margot regained conscious then remembered why she was sent to Jez, simply because her friend warned her. Margot woke up and discovered that she is in a bed covered chin to toe in 2 layers of brown silky covers. The bedroom looks like one of a hotel yet looks a bit used with a fuchsia deep V-neck shirt lying on the T.V. that lie on the dresser in front of the bed. A book was spread out to page 45 and 46 next to the pillow connected to the pillow underneath Margot’s head.

As Margot glanced around she tried desperately to recall what had taken place. Where was she currently? But before she could even try to speak a person entered her room. Immediately Margot was in a defensive position, not knowing who might enter. She was in a fighting stance standing on top of the bed to gain the height advantage. It freaked her out that someone could use their magic powers to scare her. Thankfully it was only Kerri though.

She jumped down from the bed and nodded a greeting at Kerri.

“How are you holding up?” Kerri asked with a smirk having witnessed Margot’s hopeless defensive position.

“I’m good. I feel like I simply banged my head a little. So what happened? Why am I here?”

“Nothing much happened.  Carter carried you to our hotel room. Just so you know, he actually is pretty kind. However in the past two days I met the guy in charge of learning my life story, just so that I can get out of Jez,” Kerri said rolling her eyes while jumping on the bed to sit. “You need to meet this person in about 30 minutes so get ready quick,” she informed Margot with a grin.

Margot groaned and started to get ready for the day. Once she was done, 20 minutes later, she put her hands on her hips.

“Happy,” she questioned with sass at the fact that she had to rush to get ready for a stranger who will interrogate her life so soon from her head recovery.

“Elated,” Kerri replied.

“So how did you know that I would get well today?”

“Fortune teller, you’ve got to love the people here.”

Kerri led Margot down the spiral staircase in the hotel that led to the lobby. Margot noticed that Kevin was there with another “normal” looking guy. She started to wonder if all of the adolescent males look normal like people from Main Kingdom, not a lick of magic surrounding them. But then she remembered the other teenagers hanging out by the metro that fitted exactly with the people of Jez.   

“Hey Kevin and Michael,” Kerri said chirpily to the two guys waving at them.

Margot blinked in surprise after finding out Michael’s name because he is the one that Chad recommended she meet up with here.

Kevin grinned and waved back while the other studied Margot.