Chapter 4 - MAE DAY

Start from the beginning

"You are doing wonderful," the nurse praised. "You are a natural."

I smiled and started to cry again at the kindness of her word, the reassurance for me as I didn't know what I was doing and as I turned to look at Bay he was still surrounded. Willow was getting a bit more colour with the ventilator on and I watched her chest go up and down fast, it still seemed laboured and I was terrified again that they were going to die any minute.

Bay was taken off to xray a few minutes later and I was left staring at an empty space in the room where his incubator used to be, for a moment I wondered if he was going to return or this space in the room that seemed like a void in my life, was going to remain empty.

Willow was sleeping and in much better condition than a few minutes ago. Her grandmother was standing beside her looking bereft. Bay's grandfather had gone with him to xray and Lee had walked down with them.

I stood there and put my hands to my mouth trying not to cry but one tear fell after another as I stood looking at the space where Bay should be and started to sob uncontrollably. I dropped to my knees and cried my heart out. I couldn't stop and as the as world around me ceased to exist the only thing I felt in the moment was my loss and the threat of more.

I felt arms around me but was too lost in my own grief to care who they belonged too. I was left to my grief for a few well needed minutes before I realised the arms were the nurses.

"I wondered when this was going to happen," she said. "Just let it all out sweetheart, there's a good girl."

I was hyperventilating, my breath shuddering from chest whilst the nurse used her ample frame as a comforter for me.

"Come and have a lie down," she said helping me up with another nurse so I could lie on the pull out bed. I sat on the end of the bed fighting for breath and sobbing as Lee came back in. He looked from me to Willow and his mother in panic, saw the monitors with her heartbeat and breathed a sigh of relief.

"I'll leave you to look after her. I'll make you some tea," she said walking off and patting Lee on the back as he walked over and knelt in front of me.

"I know how you feel," he said his eyes red from the tears be must have spent on the way back from xray. I flung my arms around his neck at the same time he reached out to comfort me. Squeezing each other tight as we took refuge in each other like yesterday, it was strange to think I had only just met him. He felt so much a part of my life, a friend, a confident... I was so glad my sister had him as a brother in law before she died. That thought made me worse again but Lee pulled me back up onto the bed to lie down and cuddled me tight. I hid from the world for a few moment against his chest with my eyes closed.

Eventually Bay arrived back with his grandfather at his side we stood up and walked to have a look. I was still shuddery and sniffling, as we approached and I was surprised when Dr Grayson put his arm around me sympathetically and pressed his lips to my hair. "Go get some fresh air, it will do you good. The babies are in safe hands. We will know more when the test results come back but nothing is going to happen for a while so keep yourself fed and watered as we can't have you getting ill," he said.

I nodded it was true, I would be no good to anyone with the way I feel at the moment.

"Come on," Lee said pulling my hand towards the lift. "We will go to the hotel so you can get changed. I picked up some of your stuff this morning from your apartment."

"What?" I asked in shock as we got inside.

"You needed them and you were sleeping so I went for you," he said.

"What did Paul say?" I asked wondering about my ex.

"He wasn't there," he replied.

"I only grabbed your emergency stuff," he said.