"SIXTEEN parties, sixteen thefts?"

"Dr. Smith." Christian's voice is the first thing I hear once I exit the elevator. I groan softly as he makes his approach. "How's it going?"

I take a deep breath as I lock the iPad in hand. "I find it suspicious that you've been standing there."

He laughs as we head down the hallway. "The nurses told me you went to the children's ward and was due to return any minute now."

I raise my eyebrows at that then turn to face him. We both stop walking and I'm greeted with a small smile from Christian as our eyes meet. "Do you have that much free time?"

"Well, no. Guess I should just cut to the chase." He laughs softly. "Some of the junior doctors are meeting up at the pub later. You should come."

Not this again.

"I don't like pub food." He shakes his head with a smile. "And I don't drink either."

"Just come for the company." I scowl. "Come on, we're not that bad."

I'm really not in the mood for drinks and conversation. Although the alternative is going home to sit on the couch and drown myself in thoughts of Emilio. I'm also avoiding my father since I've yet to explain where Paws came from and why I showed up out of the blue with the cat. 

I would actually welcome any distraction, but why do I feel like I'm about to have a shit evening if I say yes?

"I mean..." Christian continues. "...you can always leave if you're not having a good time."

I nod then take a deep breath. "Fine. I'll meet you downstairs in five."

I join Christian on the ground floor ten minutes later. I did manage to get changed in five minutes but I spent the other five catching up on articles related to Spain's friendly. 

"Sorry." I apologize to Christian as we meet in the lobby. "Where are the others?"

"They're already there. We're the last ones on shift so I thought we could go together." We head toward the revolving doors. "I didn't drive today, are you okay with the train?"

My stomach churns uncomfortably. "No." The wind ruffles my loose curls as soon as I step outside. "Let's just get an Uber. It's on me."

Working at the hospital means there's a lot of taxis and Ubers around so luckily for us it didn't take too long to be picked up. 

"You know." Christian begins shortly after the Uber pulls away from the curb. "I read your research on nanotechnology and its use for cancer detection and diagnosis."

I flash him a look. "Did you spend time reading a lot of research from fresh grads?" He laughs. "Did you also go to Oxford?"

"Yeah." He nods. "I was in New College. Even though the research was experimental, it blew the minds of my professors."

"Oh." I say softly. "Sorry, I don't think I ever saw you around campus."

He nods. "I figured. Although we did meet once."

None of that rings a bell and so I shake my head. "No way."

"Your friend Ben introduced us." Oh God. "Are you two still friends?"

"Yeah." I chuckle. "We live together."

"Oh. I didn't know it was like that between you two." I make a face expressing my distaste. "Or not."

"We're more like siblings." I take a deep breath. "And I'm sorry that I didn't recognize you."

"It's all good. I'm just glad to see you at St. Joseph's and I'm also glad that we're not in the same year."