"Right," I said; forcing a smile. "I'm sure he's fine,"

*

Hunter

I don't know how long ago I stopped crying. Probably about the time I realised kicking and punching things wasn't going to help me.

I understood what was happening; what was going to happen to me. My Dad had found me. There was no point in calling him John anymore. There was no way he'd let me get away with that. Dad had found me and he wasn't going to let me get away again. He'd die before he let that happen.

I wondered if he'd make me suffer. Probably. He'd have to make up for the past few years. Would I have to tell him everything bad I'd done since the last time I'd seen him, so he could punish me for it? This felt like punishment enough. Having an idea of what was going to happen but still being completely in the dark because he was such a fucked up man. There was no knowing what he would do.

Would he kill me? Surely if he wanted me dead then I'd already be dead. But he did want our family to die. He got as far as killing Mom but fucked up with us two. Maybe he was mad at himself for that and wanted to do it properly. Or maybe he just wanted me back to fuck with even more.

Would he hurt me like he used to? I couldn't think about that. It got my heart speeding up even more. Thinking about that made everything else seem easy. It made the beatings less painful, hell it made the beatings heaven. It made me appreciate the little things he'd do to punish me. Like not feeding me for a few days. That was easy, I could handle that. The beatings were hard but I could cope. I could cope with anything he threw at me but that.

It made me want to die.

Was that the best option? To just die? I imagined myself on my knees, begging for him to kill me, and suddenly it didn't seem so bad. Imagine that. It all being over so easily. No more pain, no more suffering. Everything would be quiet and peaceful. Everything would be as it should've always been.

That comforted me for a while. The thought of becoming nothing. The thought of not having to wake up every day and struggle to get through the next. To know that I wouldn't become a punching bag, a toy for him to use whenever he felt like it. There would just be nothing. Maybe it would even be nice. Just me. No pain, no suffering, no nothing.

*

"Hunter?"

I was screaming before I even realised what was happening. I was sort of aware of being lifted for a few seconds but I struggled so hard when my eyes opened that the only thing I knew was that I was on the floor. I tried to get myself on my feet, to get a good shot at running but a heavy weight slammed against my back and pressed my body back into the stones on the ground.

"Only just got you back and you're already trying to get away from me?" I heard his voice laugh. The weight on my back which I now realised to be a foot lifted quickly but before I had time to pull myself up someone had already done it for me.

"Get off me!" I cried, trying to dig my heels into the gravel to pull myself back. Nothing was helping though. I could see myself being dragged closer and closer to the small shed-like looking house with each breath I took. I could feel the tears dropping down my face and tried to keep my head down in shame, I knew he'd think it was pathetic. Would just give him another excuse to laugh at me.

"Almost home," he sung. He sounded so happy. His voice was so cruel and terrifying but he spoke to me like you'd speak to a kid. So happy and excited. Had he been looking forward to this? How long had he been planning this?

"No, no," I repeated as I was dragged up to a washed out door. I grabbed the edges of it once it was thrust open, i guessed by Paul, and held on until I could feel the splintered wood breaking my skin.