{ Chapter 3 }

School.

It was the 1st day of a new high school and it was safe to say that I was absolutley shitting myself. One, because I hated school. And 2, Hunter was no doubt going to get into fights. He always did. In our old school, even though he had one on one lessons with a teacher, he still managed to make enemies. And he was pretty scary when he got into a real fight.

Chris was driving us to school, and he'd told Hunter to start making his way to the office because he wanted to have a word with me. I wasn't scared, because Chris wasn't scary and had never actually been mad at me. We had fights sometimes, but I loved him.

"What's up?"

"You didn't shout for me last night," he murmured; staring out ahead the window.

"Oh," I said quietly. "I was going to..it's just erm, Hunter woke up before it got too serious."

"He was screaming Kat,"

"Yeah and I was there for him," I shot back. "Chris I made sure he was ok. I knew what that dream was about, I knew what I needed to do. I woke him up, and he went to go shower. He came back into the room 30 minutes later, and he went back to sleep. He was ok."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. Why are you getting at me for helping your son?"

"I'm not getting at you," he stated. "I just don't want you to get it into your head that you can handle it. You do realize that Hunter did physically attack me one time I tried to wake him up?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "You had a black eye for weeks,"

"And bruised bones," he added. "Do you think I want that to happen to you? Do you think he wants that to happen to you?"

"Hunter doesn't give a shit about me,"

"Don't swear,"

"Right," I smiled. "So what happens if you're on a night shift? You really think my Mom's gonna want to sit at Hunter's side and hold him? You think Hunter wants that? As much as he hates me, he'd rather me help him than my Mom."

"Kat I don't wanna fight-"

"And we're not. I'm just saying,"

*

I met this girl called Cassie and she introduced me to a bunch of her friends at lunch. There was Cassie, Josh, Lucy and Ash. They were all friends since babies, and they were all really nice. I was sat on the bleachers with Cassie and Ash and Lucy whilst watching Josh practise football. And then suddenly the conversation drifted from my reasons for moving, to the boy smoking in the corner.

"It's a no smoking zone," Cassie murmured. "But he's too hot to send him away,"

"He's nothing special," Ash muttered. He was Cassie's boyfriend, obviously he was going to snap back.

"Are you kidding?! Look at him. Mysterious, beautiful, really fucking beautiful, he's..he's-"

"My step brother,"

"What?!" Cassie shrieked. "Seriously, he's your step brother?!"

"Kinda. It's complicated,"

"How so?"

"He was adopted by Chris. Chris married my Mom. I guess it makes us adoptive step siblings but I just call him my brother,"

"That's cool," Lucy chirped. "What's his name?"

"Hunter,"

"That's weird," Ash mumbled.

"It's not his real name. It's his middle name,"