Primary Colors - Part 1

"I just loved your spin piece in the paper, Olivia Pope," Jughead said, looking at Veronica as they sat in the cafeteria.

"Can we not, Jughead?" she asked.

"Did you know about Southside High closing? Or the prison?"

"Of course not," Betty defended. "It was all her parent's doing. Right, V?" She glanced at Archie.

"She didn't know, Jughead. Okay? So back off."

"Fine. I have to conserve my energy anyhow."

"And here comes his big idea," Aminity mumbled.

"I'm going on a hunger strike to protest Southside High closing and to get it reopened." Archie chuckled. "What?"

"I'm sorry, man. It's just," he laughed again. "You're, like, always eating. I mean, good luck with that, but-"

"Hey, it's Jughead's prerogative to protest peacefully, so we're gonna support that. Aren't we?"

"Veronica?"

"Oh, hey, Ethel," she greeted as she walked over.

"For your crimes against the town of Riverdale, for everything you and your family have done and continue to do, we find you guilty. Your sentence is this." She dumped the strawberry milkshake she was holding on Veronica's head, the entire cafeteria gasping.

***

Veronica stood at the sink, finishing washing her hair out as Betty and Aminity stood behind her.

"The chilling thing is Ethel went through the trouble of bringing that milkshake here from Pop's. I mean, how mad is she?"

"My dad is responsible for the Muggs family losing basically everything. And he still hasn't made amends, so..." She sighed, standing up. "Ethel has a right to be upset."

"So do you. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'll manage."

"I'm impressed. I'd want to rip Ethel's head off."

"I would shrink back and do nothing," Aminity sighed.

"As my mom keeps saying, this is not the time for drama and flying off the handle. I just need to," she took a deep breath, "take deep breaths, keep smiling, turn the other cheek. Give Ethel a wide berth."

"Hey, we're with you through it all, okay?" Aminity smiled.

"I know. I have the best girlfriends." They walked out of the bathroom and through the hallways until Reggie came up to them.

"Veronica, I heard you got a face full of dairy. I've got some nuts to top off that shake if you want."

"Leave her alone, Reggie."

"You do not want to push me right now, Reggie."

"One question I gotta ask as future Student Body President. What are the odds your dad's the first inmate in that prison he's building?" He kept talking as Veronica's fist balled and she punched him.

***

"Friends, I have an exciting announcement to make," Veronica said as she stood in front of them in the lounge the next day. "I'm running for Student Council President against Reggie 'The Misogynist' Mantle."

"You've got to be kidding me," Jughead grunted quietly.

"If yesterday's dramatic events taught me anything, it's that Veronica Lodge is not a victim, nor will she ever allow herself to be one."